Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2010

Napping in her cot AND had baby rice today!

Lol, the times she does this during the day are so few and far between! Fast asleep she is, although she played for half an hour first fighting it - not crying just kicking about and eating her fingers lol.

I also tried her with a bit of baby rice this morning, and I mean a bit - it was probably half-full baby spoon worth - but she ate it! I expected her to spit it out but she rolled it around her mouth a bit and then ate it up! lol - I was feeding her with it gradually and she loved sucking on the spoon lol. She's 15 weeks on Monday so I'm not rushing it, I might just give her the same amount for breakfast each day and then when she's 17 weeks try a little more and get braver - she's on around 35oz milk a day so I think she'll need food sooner than 6 months - although I know some will think I'm wrong to do it.

I worry about the current government advice on weaning but at the same time we have no allergies or history of it either side of our families so as long as I'm not silly and serving her up a sunday dinner next week then I think she'll be ok!

Has anyone else considered/considering doing the same?

xxx

Replies

• I weaned DD1 at 16 weeks with baby rice on the advice of the HV. She had silent reflux and couldnt take more than 6oz of hungry baby formula at a time but would be starving a short while afterwards.
    DD1 does have eczema but has had it since birth. Not sure if early weaning has made it worse tho.
    DD2 on the other had was 16 weeks yesterday but is no where near ready for weaning! She barely drinks her bottle half the time, she sleeps through most nights and unless she is havig a growth spurt, never crys for a feed! I have to remember to do it because she would never eat otherwise. So much for on demand feeding, she never demands LOL!
    On average she only takes 21oz a day.

I am on the other hand about to start making batches of fruit puree. I'm back to work in 6 weeks so need to get organised.

Serena X
  • Think I'm going to have to wait until 6 months to wean lo. He's only drinking 25oz a day and even though he screams the place down for his bottle he usually falls asleep after drinking only 3-4oz!

Serena, how long can u keep the fruit pur????e for in the freezer? I know I'm going to wean when I come back from holiday in oct so wouldn't mind having some ready made
  • Blimey both, makes me realise what a little guzzler Isabel is then as she had about 37oz yesterday! lol.

Gave her another little baby spoon of rice worth today and she was all smiles, and loved sucking on the spoon - so am just going to do that each day for the next couple of weeks and see how I go. My hubby thinks I'm wrapping her up in cotton wool and should give her more so he got short shrift over it!!! lol.

• Kelly, just looked in my Annabel Karmel book and she says 6 weeks (I thought it was about that). Gotta say the woman was a God send when I weaned Lily.
  • I've got a little Annabel Karmel "cook" book with suggestions for food for babies and toddlers - my hubby bought it for me for Xmas when I was pregnant - must look through it for ideas! lol x
  • Sam is 18 weeks and I started him on solids 4 days ago. Today he had about 6 spoons and seems to take it in his stride. So far so good.

I was advised to stick with veggies at first before introducing fruits otherwise some kids will only eat the sweet stuff.
  • I know it's shear coincidence but she's slept through both the last two days till 6/7am!!!! Coincidence or not long may it continue! lol,

Aww she sat in her little high chair this morning all smiles image x
  • Mmmm Apple Pie maybe I should start with some baby rice.... I gave Freddie some a few days ago and he loved it, but no change on the sleeping habits!!! He is the same age as your little one, think I will start next week xx
  • She slept till 5.45am last night too miniday - am liking this change in sleeping habit no matter what caused it! lol. Still just giving her a taster of baby rice, probably about 4 spoons but the rice is just a tiny bit on the tip of each spoonful - she seems to quite like it and then straight after she guzzles down 7oz milk! lol.