Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Own Room????

How many of your little ones are in their own room now? Freddie is still in with us, however it doesn't leave much room in our bedroom and he is in a travel cot.

He still wakes once a night but often wakes around 5.30 am when my OH gets up for work.

I don't know whether to move him into his own room, part of me thinks he would sleep better, but am feeling a bit emotional about it (my lo is growing up to quick image!

Although it is not as though we 'see' him during the night as he is asleep.

Not sure what to do so any advice welcome xxx

Replies

• Options
    Megan has been in her own room since 3 months and sleeps much better for it as do we. We have a monitor and she is only just in the room next to us with all the doors open.

I was a bit worried the first few nights and was waking every hour to check on her but now I'm glad she is getting used to her own room and sleeps well from 8.30 til 7.30. You just have to do what is right for you.
  • Options
    we moved her into her own room last week. its going really well so far and she's sleeping much better. we also ditched the dummy last night and she settled much better. i have a sensor monitor and am starting to relax a little. physically shes no further away from me than when she was in our room but it feels odd to have a wall between us. have to say its nice to read in bed again though image x
  • Options
    DD has been in her own room since 3 months and sleeps great. I was scared she would get too use to waking up in our room then play up when I put her in her own! I was emotional too but it was definately the right thing for us. Xx
  • Options
    DS has been in his own room since 10 weeks and we all initially slept much better for it. We don't bother with a monitor as he's only in the next room and I'm a light sleeper. However, for the last month or so he's been waking every 2 to 3 hours (usually for food) so I'm up quite a lot but at least OH sleeps through...
  • Options
    We moved Ellis into his room on friday night, he was 16 weeks that day. We decided to move him before he got used to sleeping there, I have many friends who have waited till 6 months to move their LO's & they have had terrible trouble.

I cried lots when I was getting him ready for bed. He settled well but woke 3 times around 5am & then twice last night. He usually sleeps right through, Im sure he will again once he adjusts to the change, We have a sensor monitor & I wouldnt be able to sleep without knowing its on. I have really look forward to getting up in the morning & walking into his room to see his smiley face. And I totally agree with PP its lovely to read in bed again xxx

[Modified by: babymay2010 on September 19, 2010 08:39 PM]

• Options
    Sophie went into her own room at 11 weeks and I slept in there with her until about 4 weeks ago. I moved out when she kept waking me which in turn was waking her. Since I moved out she's started sleeping through from her dreamfeed to morning, so everyone is getting a better night's sleep now. I don't think we'd ever have made it to 6 months!

When we have another one I'll do it the same way again.
  • Options
    Ava went in to her own room two weeks ago, she's less disturbed when we go to bed even though I check in on her, our floor boards creek like crazy and hers aren't so bad!
    We're currently having a nightmare with teething and the dummy game though so it's not so great her being far away image x
  • Options
    Mmmmm I bottled it last night!!! The problem is we have an old terraced three storey house, we are on the top floor and freddie will be on the middle floor.

I might sleep in his new room with him tonight......
    He still wakes once in the night though.! x
  • Options
    Leila went into her own room at 16 weeks and we both get a better nights sleep, she occasionally wakes in the middle of the night which wakes me up as she only across the hall but she will just go back to sleep! She is quite a noisy sleeper so its much better for me and now I can read when i go to bed! lol xx
  • Options
    Maya's slept alone in her room from 6 weeks. Until then, OH and / or me had slept in there with her as our room's in the attic and not really suitable (there's still a double bed in the nursery).

I decided to go back into my own room as Maya was spending the first 3 or 4 hours of the night in her room alone anyway (before we went to bed) so figured it didn't make much difference to her.

I think we all sleep much better for it. Quite strange for the first few nights though!

[Modified by: secretsquirrel on September 21, 2010 06:29 PM]

• Options
    Sam has been in his own room since he was three weeks old... SHOCKING hey image

He has always slept well and only woken for feeds. On the odd occasion that we have to share a room with him when we are away, I wonder how on earth people do it for so long?? I spend my life trying to tiptoe around and be as quiet as a mouse and it gives OH and I no time together at all. How do you girls cope with it?
  • Options
    Freddie is fine, I don't even tiptoe!!!! I still crash around, use the bathroom - ensuite so have to go through our room! and he stirs but doesn't wake.

He only wakes for one feed in the night so I think I just need to keep going with this and drop it eventually!

It would be nice to have some time for me and hubby though!!!! x