Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in May 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Giving baby water?

Hello girls
I think most of you know that I'm formula-feeding Corynn as she won't latch on. I've been expressing some b/m and giving her bits and bobs but I've not a lot of a milk now so it's 95% formula and 5% b/m more or less.
She's finding passing poo a bit hard at the minute too.

I've been asked a few times by different people if I'm also giving her water besides what she takes in in the formula feed. Is anyone else giving baby drinks of water besides bf-ing or bottles? It's incredibly hot here too so I'm worried about dehydration.
Would it hurt to give her a few sips of water a few times a day? And might it help with going to the toilet? She goes every day but saves it all up for one big one (that makes for a very pleasant nappy!).
Thanks girls!

Replies

• Options
    I'm not sure hun, but didn't want to r&r. Pretty sure with ff water still isn't generally recommended before 6mnths, but not sure if the temperatures can change that...think I mightve read something but not too sure xx
  • Options
    I'm formula feeding too and have been told by doctor and HV to give him water too. He's got dry skin and doc reckons he's a bit dehydrated although not sure how considering how much formuka he's drinking!
    Both doc and HV said it doesnt hurt to give them water as long as its not too much otherwise they might fill up on it and not drink formula

xxx
  • Options
    My HV really pushed me to give Riley water in the heat, he dosn't seem to mind it and if it will keep him hydrated it cant be so bad, also my sister-in-laws newborn was having trouble poo'ing so she gave her water and now she poo's like a good'un
    xxx
  • Options
    i am doin the same formula and breast milk pumped and i started to give him water only a few sips maybe an ounce or so i started to give him as him belly was very rumbley but poop was opposite i think it has settled him loads. So i would if i was you esp because of the weather x
  • Options
    Thanks girls! Good to know some of you have been advised to do it so it definitely can't hurt. I didn't think so, but you never know, do you?!
    It's also nice to read other mums who are formula-feeding, sometimes I feel like the only one! x
  • Options
    You're definitely not the only one Hun, my midwife told me that at 6months the stats show 97% of babies are ff so you're definitely not the only one there xx
  • Options
    Thanks love image
    I gave her a bit of water and she hated it! Will have to get her used to it I guess!! xx
  • Options
    hi i asked my midwife yesterday about his she advised me not to give water as it confuses things i guess with how much food they are getti but this is in my case she said if they are constipated and dehydrated then its ok as they need it. How is lo now? Charlie hasnt pooed in 24 hours and is straining so im worried the other way now!
  • Options
    I formula feed Freddie (problems with milk and he had jaundice so needed as much milk as poss to flush it out - he looked like he'd been tangoed! lol) and the formula, at the beginning, made him constipated, not terribly, but enough that it wasn't comfortable for him, so started giving him cooled boiled water to drink a couple times a day, I also did this when it was hot at the weekend, as I thought the extra fluid would be beneficial for him.
    I only ever give him about 20ml through the day, and now he's used to the formula and it's cooler, doesn't need it at the mo.
    My mum used to do the same as I'm doing, and the HV also recommended it too.

[Modified by: ~~MichyMoo~~ on May 29, 2010 12:51 PM]

• Options
    The advice seems really conflicting on the water thing, doesn't it? I've even read something saying you can poison them with water?! But I'm guessing that's meaning if you give them a litre or something.
    I gave Corynn around 20ml spaced over two times inbetween feeds yesterday just to help her along and she's since been to the toilet a few times and not hard like yesterday (baby TMI!). So I'm happy it's done the job. I won't give her more for now unless I see she's struggling again and I'll seek proper advice from my pediatrician next week too! Will let you ladies know the advice too xx
  • Options
    Hi Mitxi x no your not alone with the bottlefeeding, I too am now exclusively giving the bottle. It was so the best decision, she like a different baby now, so content and happy, and I too feel sooo much better. With regards to the water, my mw and hv recommended i give her some, boiled cooled water in a bottle, especially when the weather is hot, and to help soften her stools. Now that she's got used to the formula her poops are fine, so I'll only give her water if the weather turns hot again. My hv said as long as the water has been boiled it is fine to give, and that she will only take what she needs. We'll have to catch up regarding the cs, I hope your recovering well xx
  • Options
    Hi hun

I too am formula feeding Emily she was poorly when she was born and very jaundice they told me that the only way for her to get better quickly was for her to feed well but she wouldn't latch on so in the end I decided to change to bottles and within days she was much better. I mentioned to the HV that she is only having 1 dirty nappy every other day and she told me to give her a bit of cooled boiled water between feeds to help her go, it does seem to be working even though she is not that keen on the water. She also told me that you can give them half an ounce of pure prune juice diluted with 5 parts water to help them go as well but so far we have just stuck to the water

by the way Corynn is so beautiful!

happywife and Emily xx