Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in May 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

9 days old and has a cold :(

I could cry, I feel so helpless for the poor wee girly image

A "thoughtful" friend visited, and we didn't realise she had a cold and now poor little one has it - she's so snuffly and snotty bless her, and her breathing is so loud. All I can do is give her extra cuddles and wipe away the snot when I can - 9 days old and I've already exposed her to germs grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Thankfully she's feeding ok, same amount but more a case of spreading it out timewise as she's so unsettled - wish I could just kiss her better, I keep trying!

Sorry pointless post but am feeling sorry for baby and guilty for making her miserable image

xxx

Replies

• Hey I know how u feel as my little one has had a cold for about 2 weeks now. Making all sorts of noises and it breaks your heart. You just wish u could blow their nose for them!
    Have u tried saline nose drops? You put a drop in each nose before their feed and it clears their nose long enough for them to feed. I've fou d they've helped a bit
  • It's so hard isn't it - they sound so bad - especially at night when it's so quiet too. I may order some drops in, at the moment she's feeding ok although coughs occasionally so we take it steady - but at least if she struggles then I have them ready - thank you for the advice x

Hope you lo gets better soon hon xx
  • my wee one has had a cold too - her big sister had it when he was born so I guess it was inevitable he'd get it!

The tips I've been given are:
    the saline drops as previously sugested - but if you tickle just under their noses with a cotton bud after you put the saline drops in you can get them to sneeze, which clears the nose a bit better than just with the drops themselves,

You could also take them into a steamy room (i.e. put them in the bathroom while you are having your shower) as that helps clear the nose.

and finally raise the head end of the cot a wee bit (I've just put a couple of books under both legs).

Its really mean them getting colds so early isn't it :\(
  • I've just put a couple of books under the moses basket stand to see if it helps - stands to reason perhaps baby better being slightly up rather than lying completely flat with the horrible mucus clogging her up - aww my heart is going out to her today, I just feel so awful for her - I can't believe she's poorly after just 9 bloody days! Midwife very blase about it and just said "children get colds" and I suppose she's right - even still, it's hard enough being a new mummy without an upset baby to try to help!

Had a little cry and pulled myself together, me and my snuffly little bundle will be ok, lots of cuddles ahead image

• Ryans developed a cold over the past couple days, he doesn't seem too bad during the daytime except very noisey breathing but at night he's coughing and snoring and was whinging so much in his sleep all last night I spend most of the night jumping up and down to check on him. And his nighttime pattern, the only predictable thing went right out the window, he just seemed so miserable, he couldn't figure out what he wanted
  • Aw hope he gets better soon kayssis, lo is still snuffly but it comes and goes now and she's much better than she was earlier in the week. It's still hard though as I can see her nose is blocked and every now and again she starts snorting when she's asleep and gets upset - more cuddles!! I have one of those nasal aspirators which is about as much use as ... well I don't know what, but it's not much use! lol. May have to get the saline drops to help when she gets bunged up I think.

xx
  • Glad to hear she's on the mend hun. Would def recommend the saline drops, don't know if it's just coincidence but he wouldn't settle in the early hours so we used the drops and he soon went back down and seemed much less snuffly throughout the day although is all bunged up again this evening xx
  • Glad to hear she's on the mend hun. Would def recommend the saline drops, don't know if it's just coincidence but he wouldn't settle in the early hours so we used the drops and he soon went back down and seemed much less snuffly throughout the day although is all bunged up again this evening xx
  • Thanks ladies, the saline drops are fantastic - used them earlier and she calmed down almost straight away - will keep using them when she gets overly snuffly and snorty xx