Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Won't let me put him down

Ryans never let himself be put down easily during the day, he has to be properly asleep before you have any chance of getting away with it. But this morning he won't let me put him down at all. Had his feed first thing and a top up bottle then fell asleep on my chest, put him in his crib, within 10seconds he was crying stopped when I picked him up then immediately fell back to sleep on my chest, waited a good ten mins and the whole thing repeated again. I was so tired I spent the next hour lying there doing the nodding dog.
Now he's had his second feed and is crashed out on my chest again!
I need a bath and don't know where to put him

Replies

• I dont know if it would work but why dont you try laying a top you have worn in his crib and then lay him on that as the smell of you might be enough to comfort him? xx
  • oh sweets, Isobel did that to me last night, i ended up sobbing at 5 this morning as i was so shattered and she just wouldnt settle unless she was on me (little monkey is fast asleep in her basket now, typical!). I was also given the advice of laying clothes or a muslin which ive worn into her basket to help settle her which i will try tonight. Dont have any other advice but just wanted to let you know ur not alone xx
  • I did try putting my nightshirt in with him just so could get washed but he was already awake so think it was too late. Will try next time though.
    He's so difficult in the mornings, from around half 6 when he wakes up je only usually dozes for 10-20mins at a time until mid afternoon when he'll have a proper nap for a couple hours. Guess it's the price I pay for his great performances at night. Just need to be able to put him down long enough to get washed and dressed at least
  • Oh hun image I am sure it will get better for you as he gets older and in some kind of routine image x
  • I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever get settled into some sort of pattern or routine with our feeding the way it is. Tbh he's 4weeks tomorrow and it's such a constant uphill struggle I think I'm gonna try moving onto mixed bottle feeding. He has hardly stopped crying this morning, he was hysterical a little while ago and rooting around on my top so stripped is both of to calm him by feeding skin to skin and he's fallen fast asleep on my front again. I'm not washed or dressed, had one drink, haven't eaten anything and now getting cold. Oh and my boobs and/or nipples are killing me again! Sorry for the whinge, just frustrated that we seem to be going backwards again
  • Oh hun, totally know what you mean, I definately wasn't prepared for the randomness of newborn baby timings!! My hubby is at home at the mo but thinking it will be hard when he goes back to work trying to fit in a shower - I actually thought this morning I will have to shower at 6am!!!! Freddie also isn't great at being put down and I just want to dish out the cuddles! I hope it will all settle down in the long run and am just trying to be chilled out. Hope you have a better day tomorrow xx
  • you poor thing, sounds like ur having a tough time of it. Ive really struggled with the cluster feeding too although Izzy's 'witching hours' are in the evening. My mum came round at 11pm one night as I was just in tears from the stress. Are you on the Babycentre forums? There is a fabulous breastfeeding support forum which has stopped me losing my mind and really helped me to find my feet. http://community.babycentre.co.uk/groups/a2975/breastfeeding
    I also called the breastfeeding support helpline yesterday and that was brilliant, the lady there really helped. The number is 0300 100 0212 - they might be able to give you some support chick xx
  • Thanks hun I'll have a look on there, rang the helpline last week and she didn't really have a lot to suggest, think I'll go to the bfing support to see the counsellor again tommorow night....although don't really know what else she can say.

I would try the early morning shower before oh goes to work, but he leaves at 5.15. Did manage to have a quick shower with him in jis bouncy chair in the bathroom door crying this afternoon, but was finally respectable with him asleep at 3pm, an hours improvement on last week at least!
  • Could it be that he has wind? When Sam falls asleep in my chest but cries when put down it's usually cos he needs to be burped more good luck with it xxx
    bryony & Sam 5+5
  • Could it be that he has wind? When Sam falls asleep in my chest but cries when put down it's usually cos he needs to be burped more good luck with it xxx
    bryony & Sam 5+5
  • Thanks hun will try that one, he's very resistant to being winded and fling himself around, he's much happier in an upright position, not sure if that's a sign of reflux possibly from what I've read.

Can't help but worry I'm missing something and that's why he's so unsettled at the moment. He was so chilled out and easy going for the first couple of weeks and now can't seem to satisfy him
  • Riley is the same, he is almost 4 weeks and has NO routine at all. He is ff but there is no pattern at all to when he wants feeding. He falls asleep on my chest and literally screams if I try to put him down. It has got to the point that he sleeps in his moses basket at night but at 4/5 am ish when he wakes up for a feed he wont go back down and ends up in bed with us. I cant help feeling that I am really stitching myself up by doing this and he is only going to settle when he is on me or in bed with us but it breaks my heart when he screams like that.

The lack of routine is really upsetting for me as I have always had some kind of routine ever since I as a child, but I know he is too young to try and establish one yet. Its especially hard as he has to have his regular milk and then protein free milk to top up so I have to make twice as many bottles and give him two bottles at a time so I feel like I am forever washng/making bottles up or feeding him and when hes crying and wont let me put him down I cant do anything.

My mum has taken him for the day just so I can have a bath and get my housework done, yesterday I got up at 9 and couldnt get dressed untill gone 12 when he was in a deep enough sleep to go in his basket. I feel so awful for whinging and complaining as I love him to bits, but he is hard work.

Anyway sorry for rambling, ive not really helped but it feels good to get it out. xxx
  • Hi, I really hope you won't mind me g/c your forum but I just wanted to give you all some reassurance. I have a daughter who is 11 months old but I can still remember how difficult those first few weeks were that I couldn't just read and run. My DD ceris was a nightmare in the beginning and couldn't be put down at all, sometimes I just had to let her cry to be able to shower however I was given some advice by my mother and it really helped me. It concerns the night more than the day, she told me no matter what start a routine for the baby, so me and hubby started bathing Ceris at 7.00pm then her feed and then bed, yes it wasn't instant that she took to going to bed at 8 but by 8 weeks she was and so we could have a bit of a chill out. Sometimes she would cry when we put her down but we would just pick her up calm her down and then leave and kept doing this until she realised it was bed time. She still now has her bath at 7 and is asleep by 8 and this really helped me cope with the days. I think a routine gives them security and now she even looks for her bath at 7 and gets grumpy if its a bit late!
    Once she was used to sleeping in her own crib she would be happier to be in it alone for a short time in the day whilst I showered. Also just to add quickly once the babies can see a bit more then you can have a bit more freedom, from about 6 weeks Ceris would go in her boucing cradle and look at the tv this entertained her enough for me to be able to wash the dishes and hoover quickly!
    The beginning is the hardest but it does get much easier and you look back and think why did I find it so hard.
    Good luck and I hope you all have babies sleeping soundly very soon xx
  • Thanks for g/c, advice from the experienced always gratefully received. We actually had a much better day yesterday although today was a bit all over the place as he has a cold now and doesn't want to lay flat....can't deny him cuddles when he's all snuffly (although probably just making the rod I've made for my back even worse).
    Bedtime routine definitely needs to be next on the cards once we've got the feeding under wraps although can't imagine it would do any harm to get into a pattern at least and then adjust the timing once we can, hopefully it'll help the daytime too x