Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

encouragement

How do you ladies encourage your LO's to do things?

My DD has rolled twice but after doing it she refuses to do it again and just gets mad... any idea on how to 'help' her along?

xxx

Replies

• Options
    i put Izzy three quarters of the way and let her finish it off a couple of times, by the third time she's usually doing it by herself xx
  • Options
    I'll being watching this thread, my lazy boy just can't be bothered. He is getting better but is still to roll without 'help' I'll show him how to roll/do tummy time then put him 3/4 the way and 50% of the time he'll carry on but otherwise would rather give up!
  • Options
    I'm with kayssis - my lazy lo hasn't bothered either lol - to be honest I read someones post not long ago and she was saying tummy time didn't use to exist and they didn't get hung up about rolling etc and it's true when I talk to mum too - so am now letting her do things in her own time. I move her toys a bit and have noticed she will often try to reach over with her opposite hand and tilts a bit so am sure she'll get there at some time image

Am watching her now and her arms and legs are going like there's no tomorrow lol, funny girl image

• Options
    Now I'm worried about my LO's development! She's showing no signs of rolling at all or reaching out for things yet image
  • Options
    Sophie (16 + 2) has just started (on Tuesday!) rolling front to back, about a week after finally "getting" tummy time.

She's been on the verge of rolling back to front for about 4 weeks, but it is much harder for them to get the momentum. Since she rolled front to back she's seemed much keener to get from back to front and is trying it more and more, and getting further (and then getting annoyed that she's not going all the way).

I didn't have to encourage her to roll front to back, she just took me completely by surprise on Tuesday evening and did it twice in a row. She did it about 4 or 5 times yesterday and twice this morning.

When she's trying to do back to front if she's getting about 3/4 of the way and then getting stuck I'll sometimes push her the rest of the way (this is how she suddenly got tummy time, stubborn little madam would hate it if I put her down on her front, but if she'd nearly got there herself she could all of a sudden do it!). I don't do it every time because I do want her to find out how to do it herself, but help her sometimes so that she knows what it feels like to go all the way.

I wouldn't worry if they're not doing it yet, babies do things when they're ready. Sophie's yet to sleep through the night which is something I would love her to concentrate on doing!

• Options
    Evie has rolled once and not bothered to do it again. Cant say i'm too worried. DD1 did it all by herself with no encouragement at all. I just put a few toys to Evies side to see if she will try and get them. Sometimes she tries, sometimes not.

But for some reason she has now decided she doesn't like her baby gym. Lord only knows why!
  • Options
    Isobel enjoys rolling but has only done it front to back, she does it a couple of times a day now. As im writing im currently ignoring her as she's meant to be napping and she is doing her damnest to roll from back to front and keeps getting frustrated. Im hoping she'll tire herself outimage

With the holding, I have to say, she's doing really, really well. She can grab and hold anything that is within her reach. If its light, she can bring it to her mouth and has even managed to replace her dummy when its fallen out. We've encouraged her from day one to hold things and always close her hand around things and then clap and squeal when she manages it. She's been picking things up for a good few weeks now, i get very worried she'll clunk herself in the head with some of her toys as she does wave them around with abandon!!

I really REALLY wouldnt worry if ur baby isnt doing things just yet, every baby develops at their own pace and I bet a lot of the babies who aren't rolling yet will be sitting up before the ones who are!! xx

It says here that it can be up to 5 months before they start to roll:

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/development/milestonesfirst6months/
  • Options
    What Apple Pie said is totally true. With DS1 I never heard of tummy time and certainly didn't worry about it. He didn't roll until 5 months. He is now a happy confident 3 yr old who is capable of doing all the things he should be able to. I really think we must not worry about these milesones and just enjoy each day with them because they'll do these things soon enough and it just goes so fast!