Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

nails

since he was born, my LO has always clawed at his face!!! at first scratch mits were crap and they kept coming off. then in boots, we found some with big bits of elastic that didnt come off, so we bought about 8 pairs and they have been a life saver.

we've always tried cutting his nails when he was asleep. but weve never been able to cut them enough- he's always managed to scratch his face and left some really nasty scabs. we've tried filling and still doesnt help!!!

as his hands get bigger, will they be easier to cut down. im just fed up of seeing him in his mits and i want to see his lovely little hands. im worried too that he wont be practacing how to grab and hold things! and now, he's starting to put his hands in his mouth so i actaully want him to feel his fingers, not just the cotton of the mits!!!

thank you

rach and felix (1 month)

Replies

• Hi Have you tried biting them? I found it easier then cutting them & could get them a bit shorter xo
  • I have always nibbled ryans! Usually try to do it when he's half asleep, he's never impressed but doesn't take long and at least I can't bite his fingers off when he gets in a tizz! He's constantly clawing at his face, especially when he's tired and we never got on with mits either xx
  • I'm the same, I have a bite at Corynn's nails every now and again too!
    She also sometimes claws at her face but hasn't made any lasting scratches just yet (touch wood!). I haven't even attempted to cut them, they're too tiny!