Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

baby massage was.... intresting?

well, we have just got back from our first baby massage class, phoebe really enjoyed it and even had a nap! the only thing is, i found some of the other mums a tad irritating, i hope i dont sound too bitchy! i got on ok with them and everything, but other than one other girl who must have been roughly the same age as me, and a couple id seen before, they all didnt really seem to have anything in common with me... so different to the mums i know from having archie! they all have such strong views on everything! at one point they were all talking breast feeding (which i dont do but i just listened along), and then in the next breath i was being asked how many times id left phoebe overnight so far. shes only 4months!! they looked at me like i drowned a cat when i said that id never had a night apart from archie (now 4years), let alone phoebe and they made me feel like some sort of freak! i went back to work when archie was 5months and so i relied heavily on my mum for childcare 2 full days a week so i never felt like i should be cheeky and ask her to have him overnight at the weekends too. but they were like 'do you never need any you time' and i explained that they are both asleep by 7.30pm so thats my time, and if we go out, we have my brother babysit so that the kids can stay in their own beds. im not saying our way is best, im not against kids staying at other houses but for me, the opportunty has never risen where we need them to stay anywhere. it just shocked me that they thought i was the strange one, i thought i was normal!! haha! has anything like this happened to anyone else at a baby group?xx

Replies

• iv calmed down a little since then haha! i had just been ranting about it to hubby and thought id let off steam on here instead!x
  • aw chick, i had a rubbish time at mine too (i posted about it a couple of days ago). I dont think ur strange at all. I haven't left Izzy overnight and the thought of it makes me feel sick. There's nothing wrong with it and when i do a late/early shift she'll be staying overnight at my mum's just because it will be less disruptive for her but you're certainly not strange. i hate cliquey groups!! x
  • You're not alone. At one group I went to I met a bunch of mums who were really cliquey. They kept telling me I should be following gin ford and that I was doing it all wrong as j would feed a lot in the evenings and at that stage wouldn't be in bed much before 10. I haven't left j overnight and nor would I at this stage. If I want to go out either my oh will babysit or I will ask my parents to spend the evening here but for me that's a long way off as j is bf and feeds every 3 hours even at night.
  • I haven't left Megan for more than 4 hours yet! Silly people. There are a lot of cliquey groups at some of the things we go to.

I also started baby massage today though, not what I expected as we were the only ones that turned up so it was just me, meg and the instructor!
  • awww yay im glad im not alone! i was discussing it with my mum on the phone and she said dont let it bother me, its not like i dont have the choice, they would gladly have the kids if i asked but she said dont feel like i should give them away just for the sake of it. i still dont know what im going to be doing about my working hours anyway when i go back to work yet but i may very well need my mum to help out again so i wont want to ask her to have them overnight once that happens anyway. yea these groups are very strange! even the woman taking the course was telling us how she drank a load of gin and tonic one night whilst still bf and when she expressed the next morning it stunk of gin! i was a bit shocked if im honest! it was as though they were all competing to see who could be the most laid back, booziest mum! i didnt dare tell them that even on my wedding night archie stayed in our hotel room, i thought they might all gang up on me!

1st-timer, your baby massage sounds great! no weirdos! haha! iv got to syke myself up for next week now!!xx
  • You're certainly not the only one! I've never left Sophie for more than two hours and I don't think I'll be able to leave her overnight for a long time yet.

Our baby massage group is lovely - only 5 of us, 2 of whom are dads (who seem much more chilled out and less competative than most mums!)

However, I've been to one group where the mums closed their circle so they didn't have to speak to me (I never went back). Our bumps and babies group sometimes has a mum there who loves the sound of her own voice so much that no one else can get a word in edgeways. There was a new person at Gymboree yesterday who obviously thinks she's better than everyone else. We were talking about sitting up - one of the babies has just started really steady sitting at 5 1/2 months, Sophie was demonstrating that she is still very wobbly but getting there and she started boasting that her 4 month old could sit steady already, but funnily enough he didn't show it. She also really flaunted that fact that she was breast feeding, no need! And then there was another who was showing off her 10 week old who was rolling all over the place, I felt really inadiquate having an average baby! And then Sophie decided to roll off a rocker and fell on the floor, so I really did feel like a useless mum then! And at our bf group on Tuesday people were telling me not to worry because Sophie not imediately roll over when I put her down, saying "don't worry, they all develop at different paces" (wtf - she does roll, but she'd just had a feed and was very chilled out!)

I could go on and on, but won't! I'm getting really fed up of the mummy olympics at the moment! But I guess it doesn't ever stop.