Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2010

How often do your LO's sleep through the day?

Was just wondering really... Isobel pretty much sleeps the entire day and night just waking for feeds. She has maybe 2 hours across the day of 'alertness/wakefulness' but in general she is a very sleepy baby. I was wondering if this was normal? She was a bit on the small side when she was born so i'm presuming she's 'catching up' but she is now 7lbs7oz and three weeks old and still very sleepy. Should i be trying to keep her awake more throughout the day or leaving her under the assumption that sleep is when they do their developing? Thanks x

Replies

• Mia sleeps a lot too how she manages with Lily always "talking loudly" is beyond me but hey she does!She has probably 2 periods where she is awake and taking in everything and not just wanting a feed, bum change or winding one in the morning and one about 7.30pm for about an hour each time. Every baby is different am learning that more and more as although I remember Lily sleeping alot no where near as much as Mia!xx
  • Ryan doesn't sleep much during the day, luckily he makes up for it at night. But over the last week (3-4 weeks) we've been getting much more alert time, where he's quite content being awake taking everything in and discovering his mother is a complete nutter!
  • My lo varies day to day really, some days she seems to be quite content to do nappy, feed and sleep most of the day - and days like today she was awake most of the morning quite happy kicking her arms and legs about trying to figure out what they do lol. Sounds perfectly normal to me that some babies sleep more than others, it's so true that baby sets the pace of life for now (and perhaps forever!! lol) xx
  • Mine is almost 3 weeks and also sleeps a lot of the time, other than that she is feeding or nappy changing. Have noticed last few days alert time is slightly more each day though.
  • charlie is 12 days and does vary like yesterday slept 5 hours and woke for 1 feed but we were out i find when others are around he is much better behaved but today he has been fighting it and only just nodded off at 830 i hope he sleeps tonight