Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2011

Referred to a consultant

Hi,

My husband has been married before and had 3 children, the eldest was born with a hole in the heart, which has never closed but also consultants have never seen the need to treat it so just monitered it. Anywhos, becasue of this i'm now classed as a high risk pregnancy and need to see a consultant.

Has anyone else seen a consultant? Do you get put back to low risk if they cant see anything, i'm struggling to find resarch as to how likely another child with a hole in the heart is especially since it wasnt me and his other 2 children were fine.

Emma.xx

Replies

• My cousin was just recently in the same situation. She had a few extra scans during her pregnancy just to check development but was still able to give birth at a midwife lead centre so she started out high risk and then after getting the all clear from her scans she was back to low risk.
  • I'm consultant lead care and classed as high risk due to a medical condition, all it means to me is seeing a consultant every 2 weeks in the latter part of pregnancy and having extra scans image There was no special treatment when it came to giving birth, just treated like everyone else which was nice but was also nice to see someone a bit more than normal for extra reassurance. I wouldn't worry too much hun, it can't hurt. Hope everything is well. xx
  • Hello image
    My eldest was born with a heart condition called Tetrallogy of Fallots. Unfortunately it required a lot more treatment than your step daughters, she's had 6 sets of open heart surgery. When I fell pregnant with my second I was refered to a consultant and had a scan once a month to keep any eye on baby's heart. Thankfully he was born healthy but they did an echocardiagram and a heart echo on him before we left the hospital just to make sure. Personally I feel that being under a consultant worked in my favour! I got to see my baby growing once a month, I had close contact with my consultant who was able to answer any questions, I was well looked after during the birth and given lots of attention afterwards. Honestly hun extra attention can only be good, enjoy it!
    xxx
  • i was consultant led last time but only due to the 1st ending in emergency c-section, i never actualy meet the guy & only had 1 extra scan @ 36wks due to a low placenta! so as always i cant be of much help lol, im sure in your case like Pickles said with her experience it will work in your favour ! xxx
  • I had my booking in appointment today & am being referred to a consultant which didn't surprise me my ds has a congenital heart problem so I figured they keep an eye on things this time. Its actually put my mind at rest a bit, although I'm hoping that it won't mean that I get a completely different experience of the whole pregnancy/birth I went Mid wife led last time & they were excellent. At the moment I'm shared care. Nothing ever gets set in stone though so you may get transferred back to the sole care of the midwives xx
  • Hey,

Thanks all, my mw made it sound like being seen by a consultant would be quite a negative thing for the birth itself (i'm sure she didnt mean it becasue shes really nice)...while she was explaining i could just imagine a bed in the middle of a huge white room with stirrups while everyone else down the corridor having a jolly time with beanbags, birthing balls etc (over exageration i know!)... obviously i want whats best for baby but the conversation with the midwife made me feel more worried/anxious about being under the care of a consultant.

Having said that its reassuring to hear from you ladies that isn't quite true.

Thanks again

Emmaxx