Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in May 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

flu jab... sorry if its already been covered!

hey ladies how are we all after our week away?

i got my letter for the flu jab today i have booked my appointment, for tuesday at 215. I'm just wondering what the pros and cons are for it? alot of people i know have had or are currently suffering from the flu so i know its bad this year and im thinking the jab will be better than full on flu especially with dd to run around after.

anyway sorry, im rambling, they have booked me in for the 22nd 1'll be 19weeks 2 days, but im a bit concerned its going to make me feel rubbish after? i dont want to feel rubbish over christmas but then if i dont have it id prob get full flu over xmas knowing my luck! lol! how has everyone felt after??

anyway, hope you are ok ladies! not long untill christmas now!

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!! so excited!! (and boxing day is my 20week mark!!! wow!!!)

Replies

• Options
    i had my flu jab yesterday at 21+6, apart from a small pink bump on my arm and a dead arm when I woke up this morning I have been fine. it was over so quickly and painless, and thats coming from someone who has needle phobia in capitals on her maternity notes! x
  • Options
    Hiya, I had mine a couple of weeks ago and was absolutely fine afterwards - apart from a sore arm for the rest of the day! I know quite a few women are worried about getting it but for me it was a must as I'm teacher and am constantly picking up viruses from all the children. I'd be terrified if swine flu started going round my school and I hadn't been vaccinated plus the protection against normal flu is a bonus! It was a no brainer for me but I know it's a very personal decision.

I'm also very excited for Christmas and my scan on Tuesday - yay!
  • Options
    Hiya, I'm having mine on Tuesday also. Had one last year because of work & was fine after apart from a sore lumpy arm. I've had a 4 week long cold that started as a fluey type thing & have had a course of antibiotics already so bring on the jab!!!
  • Options
    thanks ladies, i am definitely going to have it it was just the concern for how i would feel afterwards with it being so close to Christmas, fingers crossed im fine too! your advice has comforted me so thank you xx
  • Options
    i had mine at 12 weeks i was fine afterwards apart from sore arm and a few aches and pains but id rather have it than not especially as here in ireland 2 maternity hospitals have been infected with swine flu again
  • Options
    Hey ladies, I dont know what to do about mine. I have been told by the drs that I cannot have the normal vaccine as I have an intolerance to eggs, so have to have this Baxter vaccine that is only for swine flu. I would also only be able to have 1 dose as the vaccine expires by the time I would have to have 2 doses.

1. I am concerned that the vaccine is almost at its sell by date

2. is there any point if i only get one dose and you need 2?

3. its just for swine flu, and not normal flu

I just dont know what to do and my dr was really unhelpful in helping me make a decision. :?
  • Options
    I'm really confused as I asked my mw about this last week and she said you cant have it till you're 22 weeks so I havent booked mine (I do intend to have it). :?
  • Options
    well I had mine Tuesday and had no problems, I didn't feel a thing had a bit of a dead arm for about an hour after but that was it! definately glad I had it! so thank you for the advice ladies

lamchop_peanut.. i havent read any limitations on when to have it so maybe worth enquiring about? x
  • Options
    I had mine this morning, I checked with the midwife if it would make me feel abit rough and apparently that's a myth and it doesnt make you feel poorly as its not a live vaccine.

so far feeling good, so just wait and see how I feel this time tommorow image

xxxx
  • Options
    think i might have to book mine... id be buggered getting ill with a toddler AND being pregnant!
  • Options
    After much procrastinating I'm having mine tomorrow. Such a hard decision but I'm on the tube every day and now apparently its an epidemic(!) so though i better had. Hope I feel ok after :-/

R x
  • Options
    we all had ours, me at 16 wks, hubbie as has asthma and my boy who is 2 in 3 weeks.