Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Stupid question for when bubs comes

Hi,

This is going to sound like i'm a touch dense which is why its here and not in pg or baby.

My mum bought me a breast pump and storage pots etc for Chrimbo (just what i wanted!!) and the milk storage pots only have 60ml capacity...surely a baby has more than that in one feed or is that about right? Also does the baby drink the milk from both boobs in one sitting or just one?

Thanks

Emma xx

Replies

• Sorry cant work out mls, I work in ozs but just wanted to say they drink little and often at first. My dd used to only drink 1-2 ozs for the first 2 or 3 weeks.

As for the booby feeding question i'm not sure as I never managed to successfully bf but I think you are meant to do one boob then offer the other ? and if they dont take it offer that boob next time ?? Probably best to get that advice from someone else.
  • Hi g/c from BIM.

Its better to store milk in smaller amounts as then you can defrost the right amount instead of a big batch which may not all be used at one feed. I used to do about 100ml in each storage container and then just use as many as needed. You will soon figure out how much your baby drinks at each feed.

For your question about drinking from both boobs, I assume you mean BFing and not drinking expressed milk?? There are different schools of thought. Some say drink from one boob per feed, but I was told to drink from both boobs at each feed (otherwise you end up lopsided!). If you are referring to the baby drinking expressed milk, then it doesn't matter which boob the milk comes from. Just add it all together.

Hope this helps x
  • Not sure about the quantities as I ex breastfed my lo and he never took to bottles.

With regards to breastfeeding, I worried constantly if I was under/over feeding my ds. I used to always offer 2 boobs at each feed. Some hv used to tell me to make sure he was draining the 1st as the last milk is the fatty milk, but he was gaining weight well. He used to fall asleep after the 1st boob during the night so I would change his nappy and then give him the other side. That way I got 3 hours between feeds. You will learn what is best for you. Its completly normal to worry about how much milk your lo is getting but honestly as long as they are gaining weight they are getting enough. My ds used to cluster feed and I was worried I was over feeding him or I didnt have enough milk, you cannot over feed a bf baby, so if you think feeding your baby would settle them, then feed them.

It will all come, dont worry image x
  • pmsl, lopsided boobs, never heard that before! i breastfed dd1 for 9months and only ever gave her 1 boob at a time to make sure she had properly drained it. i guess thats the beauty of breastfeeding- i never had to worry about measuring out formula!
  • There are no stupid questions when it comes to pregnancy/babies!

I only gave my baby one boob per feed to ensure it was completley empty. If he/she was still hungry 20 minutes later I offered the other one.

xxx
  • Yes, breastfeeding is a lot of trial and working it out as you go along. Generally it's recommended you feed off one side until the breast is drained (it will feel soft after being full and hard) or the baby has had enough as the initial part of milk is more watery and thirst quenching then it gets more fatty and that sates their hunger and helps them put on weight. But often you might offer the other side to see if the baby is still hungry. You start the next feed with the breast that didn't get drained as much last time.

Re the breast pump, blimey you're testing me as to how much 60ml is!! I also always worked in ounces - but I think 60ml is quite little. However, you might find it hard to get much more than that when you pump as generally you don't get as much as the baby does when they feed. To start with that's probably all they'll take at one feed anyway, but by about 3 months they'll probably be up to 3 or 4 times that much at one feed so if you're expressing then you might need to do quite a bit to get a full feed's worth - you can always pump into one of those pots then transfer it into bags or a bottle or whatever.

Ps they're not stupid questions - most of it just comes with experience.
  • 60 mls is about 2 oz. Seems quite small but for the first couple of weeks they.tend to take little and often. My dd never took more than 6 oz in one go though. And it took a while.for me to be able to express any more than that. I found the storage bags very handy for larger feeds and they are.quite cheap.
  • Thank you...

Everytime someone gives me something baby related I realise how little I actually know about babies and everything seems like a stupid question at the minute.

Emma.xx