Forum homeā€ŗ Archived Birth Clubsā€ŗ My baby was born in May 2011
šŸšØ Advance warning šŸšØ This forum will be closing on 1st May ā€“ please see our pinned thread for more information.

Have started sorting out the nursery!!

It really was a huge tip like you wouldn't believe!! It's used as a wardrobe, DVD/book room, police gear room, martial arts gear room, and generally a dumping ground for anything else that we can't find a home for.

So with a ruthlessness unbounded with took loads of stuff down the tip, police gear went in the roof (it's all motorbike stuff so not used right now) and just cleared it out.

Feels so good to have done it as I was seriously dreading it, however hubby had an impromptu day off today & with Charlotte at nursery all day it made sense to crack on.

On 31st we'll buy some drawers for our room to move the clothes too, then dump the rails, clear a last few boxes into the roof, take down the shelves in there. Then it just needs holes filling & the walls painting & the DVDs found a new home & we're done!!

We thought the room was small but once cleared it's not a bad size actually.

Anybody else started on their nursey yet?

Replies

• Awww im sooo jealous!! we havent started yet but plan on getting a skip in January and being brutal! sounds like our nursary is similar to use in the respect it is currently a dumping ground!

Also wanna re carpet upstairs so going to get a quote for that in the new year!

Please make sure you take progress pictures - I love a good nosey!! xxxx
  • Well done you! Like BroodyKate, our spare room sounds a bit like that at the moment. My husband does painting and modelling and the room is filled with his stuff. A lot of it is definitely going to be packed away but it's also currently used as a study so mine and OH's desks and computers will need to stay as we have nowhere else to put them. Poor baby will only have one side of the room! I feel a bit bad but baby will be in with us initially and we're planning on moving to a 3-bed house in August so baby won't have to share with the horrible computers! Unfortunately we will still be renting and won't be allowed to decorate so I will have to content myself with looking at all your lovely pics instead.
  • Well done LC, i had started sorting out our 'Junk' before xmas so at least can see carpet now..just a bit more sorting to do then can get cracking. Have a few ideas and I am so excited to get started May decorate about March when hopefully weather bit better... Any ideas on colours etc yet? xxx
  • How exciting!!

I have ordered our nursery furniture, which is very naughty of me as i said i would wait until after our scan... but i couldn't resist!

Our room doesn't have much in it, but unfortunately at the moment it is our cats room... so i need to try and find him a new place as he will not be allowed in once baby comes!

We will be putting a new carpet down and redecorating some time in the new year. I am going for a neutral colour scheme. Bought a lovely wall paper from M&Ps for one wall, and everything will be beiges, creams etc.

My husband keeps making fun of me as everything i show him that i want for the baby is neutral colours... and he reckons our baby is going to be the most sensory deprived baby around given i am banning primary colours! :lol: They can have primary colour toys etc... just anything BRIGHT will be of correct size to be put away in a cupboard once we are done playing! image

• I think we're going to go for a pale yellow, bit bored of magnolia. It needs a new carpet but that can wait till we do the rest of upstairs too (so probably 2012!). We'll get curtains & pictures in a gender theme once we know the sex (6.5 days & counting ).

I'm excited to go pick the paint tho even tho I know what I want. Will need a new mattress for the cot as Charlotte puked on it so many times it's looking a bit water stained now from constant washing. Hubby gets paid tomorrow so we'll go then.

Kat- our cats love charlottes nursery even more since she moved in it. If you don't shut the door you can bet you'll find 4 furry bundles on her bed. Raven used to be particularly fond of sleeping in the cot when it was in there & my hubby is a nightmare at remembering to shut the door!
  • I had the big clearout the otherday too. Although it is not completly finished - a couple of cupboards are still in there and I am using the room to dry my washing at the moment.

Very excited to get started on it. Hubby's dad is painting a mural for us. (he is an artist and has a projector so he is going to draw it small than project it on the wall and paint it on.) And for christmas I got a sewing machine off the in- laws as I said I wanted to make things for baby's room. Had lots of ideas just hope I find the right material.

We have bought the cot and we have a nursing chair and the pram is already in there.

oh I want material shopping now.
  • ooo exciting!!! our nursery is currently dd1s playroom in that we dump any big toys and random bits in there at the min, but she is aware we are going to make it into a baby room soon.

we have dd's cotbed to go in and need to get some drawers and then decorate it with accessories, (wall hangings, a rug maybe that sort of thing)

but that will be bright neutral colours as we will be staying team yellow until d-day!!

this is all getting so exciting now!! image
  • I'm really jealous of anyone that gets to decorate a nursery. Hubby has 3 children, the eldest lives with us full time, should have moved out but it fell through so hes staying with us, middle is at uni and the youngest lives ith his mum but has a room with us. So now as the eldest is not moving out baby doesn't have a room. His daughter has agreed to move into the spare study downstairs when she goes back to uni next year and unitl then bubs will be with us.

Emma.xx
  • Hi all. My husband and i are expecting our first baby in the first week of May.... when do you all suggest we start buying stuff? A friend told me not to dare buy anything until i'm passed 30 weeks! That's a whole 8 weeks away! :?
  • The answer to that siwan is whenever YOU want babes. With my first we waited till 30 weeks but only because we were waiting for hubby's Xmas overtime money & the jan sales.

This time we have most things and will probably leave anything else to the end but only coz we don't need much and I loathe shopping ! Lol.
  • Thanks! We were kind of thinking we didn't want to miss out on the sales really as we've got to buy absolutely everything! The list seems a bit daunting!! :lol:
  • Ours is clear and now needs replastering. Then we can get decorating, woo hoo!
  • am waiting till 22 wk scan on jan 21st to do our nursery.