Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in May 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Massive feet

Anyone else got swollen feet and ankles?

I am a teacher so on my feet all day so thought that is it. So on Saturday I bought some soft leather, flat shoes, and on Monday they were still swollen after school.

Today I woke-up and they were swollen. How could they be swollen when I have been chilling on the settee in the evening and then sleeping?? Is that a problem?

any remedies?

and anyone else with massive feet?

Jo x

Replies

• its called oedema (sp?) and its because your on your feet all day bless you! my feet went mahoooosive with dd1 but as im a SAHM now i try and sit as much as i can!

they were soo big last time my hubby called me "shrek" as they looked like ogre feet! what a delightful man. lol

remedies.. massage!! massage the water back up your leg, rub from your feet up, whenever you get the chance! and be warned, my feet got even bigger once dd was actually born :roll:
  • Cool soaks and then get them raised - you're meant to do it for half hour each day and your ankles have to be higher than your heart apparently. Not tried the massage thing but sounds like it will help as well. And yes, mention it to your mw as it can be a sign of other things - but please dont worry as its most likely not! Everything gets bigger when you're pregnant!! lol xx
  • that must be it then... i must have oedema in my arse! :lol:
  • I got it in my last pg, nothing yet but we'll see.

Just try to raise them as much as possible and do the other things the girls have said. I could only wear elasticated shoes by the end !
  • hahaha!! lucyah!! very witty

my friends sister had this hun and the advice was to raise them, like someone said before ankles above heart x
  • I am now the proud owner of cankles image

Its nothing to worry about unless its very sudden swelling of your ankles and face and accompanied with other pre eclampsia symptoms like headaches and blurry vision and a sharp pain just below your right rib.

xxx
  • Thanks everyone. Had my feet up all night while hubby has made tea.

I do keep getting a sharp pain just below my rib, just comes suddenly, not been everyday just every now and then.

Lucy - he he image

I shall keep my feet raised, and keep hubby running around after me. image

Thanks all x x
  • I had this in my last pregnancy... I don't want to depress you but mine never got any better!! You could also try elevating your feet in bed at night on a few pillows. I was advised to do this when just putting my feet up in the evening etc didn't work.

If the rib pain persists speak to your midwife about it... it might just be baby sticking their feet under your ribs but on the safe side it's worth a mention!

Hope you get the fat ankles under control!! image
  • I had this with DS - they were huge and my delightful hubby and friends called me 'Cankles' for the last 4 weeks of my pregnancy! I used to soak them in ice water (it was June/July and HOT!) and then get hubby to massage them really hard. But as soon as he had finished the retained water would just move back to where it started from, ha ha! I was on my feet all day in my job and am now a SAHM so fingers (and stubby toes) crossed I don't get it again. I totally sympathise hun. Try and wear support tights if you can, it does help xxx
  • I got his last time - I recall trying to put some heels on a month before DD arrived & it was hilarious - my feet just flabbed over the top of the shoe & I looked like I had piggy trotters!

Someone told me to soak them in warm water then trasnfer to ice cold & keep alternating.

To be honest not much helps it's just one of the less glamorous side effects.

If your face suddenly goes majorly puffy apparently that can be bad & need to ring MW though

P.S. Keep feet elevated - isn't that how we got into this mess in the first place LOL!!
  • Might be worth a trip to the midwife if your experiencing odema accompanied with rib pain. I'm sure its nothing but its best to be on the safe side, all it will take to rule out pre eclampisa is a quick urine and blood pressure check and possibly a blood test but its worth doing because PE can come on quite suddenly.

xxx
  • I just started getting this last week - they look awful don't they! I'm ok at the weekend when I'm sat down lots but during the week they look terrible.

My mw said it was fine in my feet but I should give her a call if i got it in my face and hands.

R x