Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

The lotto is my only hope!

How else can you fill a boring friday afternoon in the office but make yourself sick with misery & try to work out if you will be able to go part-time & actually be there for some of your LO'd childhood.

God I sound so miserable don't I, but it just gets me down I guess?

I had a look on HMRC how much help we would get if I went down from 38 hours a week to 16 & it's ??3 more with 2 kids -WTF!

I don't want to be a benefit scrounger atall but it all seems so bloody unfair.

I'd just like to do 4 days even - anything less would be great but clearly not going to happen.

How is it my friend lives in a lovely house, drives an decent car, kid in full time school. Ex pays for half mortgage, all bills, she works 16 hrs a week & is always at the pub/gym/going on hols. I just don't get it!

Replies

• That can't be right! I'm going to be really nosey now...what would your total income be if you worked partime or not at all? Rob brings home ??23k a year and we get ??118 a week in child tax credit, ??188 a month in child benefit and about ??200 a month in housing benefit.

Its tight but we manage and his wage is low but not that low!

xx
  • Hiya, I'm gc from dis but just to say I feel your pain! I was made redundant a few months back, am due to start temping next week but will literally be half of what I was on in my other job! I've tried to look into tax credits & all kinds an it really doesn't seen fair does it?! I've worked all my life, just so halons that when I lose my job, we get pregnant!! I can only claim jsa for 6 months too because, yep, you guessed it, I have worked all my life!! Whereas if Id never worked I could claim indefinately..!! Doesn't make sense to me!! My hubby brings home ??19k after having to take a pay cut, and were both really starting to freak out at trying to live on that & maternity allowance (won't be entiltled to maternity pay!) pickles, it interesting that you get 118 a week tax credits, from what i've looked at I wouldn't get that much? Is that for one child? If so we may well just be able to cope on that?!

Sorry to gatecrash ladies! Just really gets to me that you work and try to do your best in life, but it's the scumbags that get rewarded!!! image x
  • Hey MrsP

No its for 3 children I'm afraid!

xx
  • Pickles hubby is on ??25k and I will be on ??17k when I come back next year - on ??14k at moment.

We currently get ??110 wftc for one child but I have had a letter to say from April it will go down to ??40.

I was gobsmacked but have since read it's cos they don't account for under 1's being babies anymore. Luckily I will have got nearly a year out of it but for those that have just had babies they are going to get hardly anything.

I'm assuming it goes up once I have 2nd in May.

I'm going to have to phone I think when i'm on mat leave & work out if I would be better off financially working less hours cos everyone I know seems to say this is the case.