Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2011

Stat Mat pay/Mat allowance??

Okay,

I am very confused over stat pay and maternity allowance, basically - I have figured I may be able to claim it and that is as far as I have got.

Just wondering who do I ask to give me an answer - Do I go to job centre or?? I know you should go to your employer but I work for a council - who are useless - A couple of months I have not been paid and then they said I don't work for them anymore and that is why I hadn't been paid (I do still work for them, they just have useless) . - So they are the last people I want to ask.

So do I ring job centre???

Replies

• I don't know a huge amount about it hun but I believe it goes to your employer. I know that mine does and then work pay me my allowance from them.

Sorry not what you wanted to hear but I think you have to talk to them.

Thanks

R x
  • Thanks - will try and figure out which department to ring.
  • I dont know about mat allowance but smp you go through your employer.
  • Gate crashing but Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) is what you get from your employer and if you qualify (i.e have been working there long enough) you should get this automatically as a wage from them but if you dont qualify then look on the direct.gov website and you can see if you qualify for Maternity Allowance and if you do you can download the form you need from them and send it off (address is on the form).

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_4017811

(I am having to do the same!)
  • It is confusing as I work as a supply teacher - working for them as such since September 2009 - but from Easter last year I went to work for a different school in a different area- but technically I was still employed by the council as a supply - although I wasn't actually working for them. I went back this septmeber when I was 4 weeks preganant covering a maternity leave, which I finish on 15th April which is when I go on mat leave and the other teacher comes back. - So I am finishing that contract but I am going to still be employed by them. - Told you it was confusing - as far as I can get supply teachers are entitled as long as they have been still employed although don't have to be working for them. :? :? :?

And the council website is useless so I have no idea who I would ring.
  • I have finally got an answer. No :roll:

I have the officaially worst timed pregancy as I sure all us May mummy to be's know - we miss out on - health grant in pregnancy by a couple of weeks, child trust fund by a month and I have missed out on stat pay by the grand total of 1 week. So a week or so either way and I would be better off. Oh well I will never be rich. :roll: At least I get my baby. image

Thanks all

Jo x x
  • Oh yeah, I get mat allowance. It's annoying when you have always worked full time and paid full on tax and national insurance for as long as you have worked but can't claim it back when you actually need it. - and those who have never worked can claim for everything. -Okay rant over
  • Glad you have got it in time. Next time I am staying at the same job. image

• You will actually gain with MA because its the same amount as SMP but its not taxable or liable to national insurance so although this isnt much every month for those getting SMP every little helps (I think about ??15 a month)!

It also doesnt go towards an earning when claiming tax credits (SMP would put us above threshold but as im claiming MA it wont!) so its not all bad! And at least you will get paid every month (well 4 weekly) where by the sounds of your payroll dept isnt so good at that!
  • Thanks Winnie. Wo-ho finally don't have to pay tax for a bit. image that has cheered me up. he he!

image at the actually being paid as well rather than being forgotten. I have been remembered this month though.
  • LOLS! I'm tottally with you about the time-wise, accursed election!! Could have done with the grants *sighs*.

I'm in the opposite situation, I've stayed with the same employer for so long I'm OK, but my GOODNESS I wish I could quit!! I'm hating every moment of it I've been bullied and my old manager just hasn't given a toss about my pregnancy. All I can say is I'm glad I cost them more money for sticking with it ha!

Good luck, hope you are OK for finance, am learning fast how expensive it is, glad you can look on the brightside, we'll have babies soon image YAAAAAY!! x