Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Is it wrong to feel a bit miffed - am I acting spoilt ??

I leave work in 30 mins for maternity leave.

Every single pregnant woman before me who has left to go on mat leave whether for 1st baby or 3rd baby has had a big leaving presentation and presents. Me.....i've got nothing. Office manager took me into her office to sign the leavers form and handed me a cheap card that half the office havent even signed, and then said "i'll give you this now so there's no fuss".

I feel really quite hurt by it, like i'm not as important as the half dozen other pg women who have left since i've been working for this office (6 years) and quite frankly a bit miffed !!

Does that make me sound like a spoilt brat ??

Replies

• No it doesn't at all hun. I'd feel exactly the same!! I know its not like your greedy and want the presents but if everyone else got something and had a big fuss then why shouldnt you?! It would make me feel quite upset so don't worry, you're definitelt not sounding spoilt to me!

xx

http://lmtf.lilypie.com/lXGQp1.png

• I agree with hayulz, your going to feel left out if other ladies have been given gifts, I know I would,

try to rise above them hun, babies always get spoilt when they are born anyway ! image
  • Thanks, the card isnt even a baby one. Its looks like one thats come out of a set. Some old granny style painting of a vase.

Just feel rather hurt I must say. :cry:image:cry:
  • Ahh, that sounds very unfair. I would feel the same! Oh well at least you know you won't be going back and will be spending your time with the two people who really matter - your babies! x
  • Totally justified, I'll be gutted if they don't give me a good send off especially considering how many i have arranged. It's totally wrong - sounds like you're best off out of there hun.

Just remember they have to go to work monday and you don't!!

R x
  • I'd be totally gutted, and to be told that she is giving you the card now to avoid any fuss is even more insulting I think.

Bless you, sounds like you're better off out of there, but I would be feeling hurt by it too.

Sod them, xxx
  • You're not at all spoiled. That sounds rotten!

I'd feel exactly the same. So sorry & I hope you're day gets better. X
  • Aw hun thats rubbish! I'd feel exactly the same.

xx
  • I think infact I know I'd feel exactly the same. thats pants!

Big hugs!

Emma.xx
  • No I would be peeved too, i would leave half hour early and not say Goodbye, that is me just being spoiled ha ha, but I think it is understandable you are hurt, i would be too hun, feck em xxxx
  • I would feel exactly the same as you in this situation, I don't think you are acting spoilt at all. Grrr to your miserable boss and colleagues x x
  • I would def be feeling fed up too :cry:

Is there a chance they might be waiting to send you a card and flowers and make a fuss once baby arrives? I've always found that when I work in teams of mainly men they are rubbish at the thoughtful stuff like cards and presents as it's usually the women that do all that.... When I have been in a team of women and they've been crap it's usually because they didn't even think of it.

Some people just don't think about others in a considerate way... they just don't have that thoughtfulness running through them. Sorry it seems like the people you work with have that missing... On the plus side you're now out of there and don't have to see the miserable lot of them for ages and ages image
  • Im not justifying it at all but could there be any reason such as people being broke and thinking they would have more money after the baby comes? Just a thought x
  • ur not actuing spoilt at all. id of given the miserable buggers 2 fingers whilst laughing out the door! :lol:
  • Mayb they're in a bit of a panic wondering how they are going to cope without u?! I bet ur so good at ur job that they are now wondering who could possibly replace u that could do even half the job u hav been doing. image that plus they're obviously jealous that ur gonna hav another gorgeous baby and hav time off work. Enjoy the rest of ur pregnancy and put ur feet up, 4get about those losers! Xxx
  • I think what bothers me the most is the last presentation was only in December and it was her 3rd baby and I've been there for all her babies and she's had one for each !! It does seem you need to be part of the office clique to get the same treatment. We are an office of mainly mums so you would think they all know how much these little things mean to us.

Showed hubby the card and he was pretty appalled too, just looked like they'd forgotten so someone found a card in their desk drawer & rushed a few signatures (funny enough all the people who signed were all those who were in work on thursday) even though they've know for weeks that i'm going !
  • Bless you,

I would be upset too. Hope they think of you when baby is here.
  • That is HARSH!!! horrid people.

I'm one of those that would just rather get my coat & leave & nothing be mentioned, i'd hate the whole 'fanfare' bit & would feel a right pleb.

Last time I had to go on early mat leave, so left work on the Tuesday & never went back so I got my wish!

My work were just fab though & sent some lovely silverware for the baby from M&P, a travel cot I said I was after, a MASSIVE bunch of flowers & a lovely card.

I really don't expect anything this time especially it being so soon but I think i'd still rather leave out the back door (IYKWIM!!!)