Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Had my checks for Prem Labour

As you might know my ds was born at 30 weeks with no real reason as to why. So this time they are keeping a really close eye on me... I have to see the consultant every 2 weeks and midwife more often too. Yesterday I went in for a cervix length scan as this is one of the indicators of a prem labour. Good news is that cervix is nice and long and no indications of getting ready for labour any time soon image

However, they also did a growth scan and baby is on the 90th centile! So looks like I will have to have repeat growth scans and they have warned me that if the baby carries on at this size I will have to be induced between 36-38 weeks... Am keeping fingers crossed that it won't come to that!

Anyone else been advised it looks like they will have a big baby? Were you told to change your diet or anything to help?!

Replies

• glad checks went well, must be a relief.

midwife was worried id have another big baby as jack was a big one but at the moment this little man seems to be quite small in comparison.

xxx
  • Glad all was well with the checks. I was told to expect a baby near 10lb with DS but he was 8lb 3oz at 42 weeks, so just shows they are not always accurate. I was told if you are very active/carry out exercise then you are likely to have a bigger baby, so I say sit on your butt for the next few weeks image xx
  • Really glad for you that it looks all fine on the labour front!

Theo was a big baby, he weighed 10lb at birth and from my 20 week scan he was over 97th centile so I had a lot of growth scans! I had 2 glucose tolerence tests and both came back fine. I was told as long as you don't have diabetes then what you eat won't make any difference to the baby's size. I'm surprised they said they'd induce so early though, thy were prepared to let me go the full 2 weeks overdue, though he ended up being 5 days over.

Hope that hasn't scared you! xx
  • Thanks everyone image

It's good to know that it's not my diet that's the issue as I've been beating myself up a bit for having had the odd bit of chocolate and cake. My ds was quite big for his dates when he was born at 30 weeks (he was 3lb 110z) so they are assuming that the indicators from the growth scan are accurate... I'm surprised too that they are thinking about inducing me? I mean plenty of women have babies over 9lb? Not sure if it's because I had a second degree tear with my son even though he was small?! Think I'll ask the consultant at my next appointment in 2 weeks time to try and understand the reasons for it...