Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in May 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Some SPD tips for Kat-9742700!

Ladies,

While Kat is waiting for her physio referral to come through I thought we could maybe offer some tips to help with the SPD so it's a bit easier to get through the next few days?

So here are my tips, mainly ones I got given by others!!!

* Wear pyjama bottoms in bed and turn over keeping both legs together - the pjs help you to slide across the sheets when turning over etc

* Silky \ slinky sheets help too!

* Go up the stairs one at a time with your good leg first when you start aching

* Go down the stairs one at a time with your bad leg first

* Get in and out of the car finishing school stylee - getting out put both legs together and swing them out then stand or getting in sit on the seat first then swing both legs in together

Hope this helps! xx

Replies

• Options
    thank you so much! All tips are appreciated.

I am glad to say that things have been a bit easier today and i have had to remind myself that just cos things are easier not to start going about things as normal. So the kitchen that has had a 'husband bomb' hit it was left to look like that, and the pile of washing that is almost touching the ceiling was also left!

xxx
  • Options
    Get a can of coke (or similar) and keep it in the fridge, then wrap in a tea towel and hold against your pelvis at the front, will help with any swelling.

A carrier bag on the seat of the car will help with moving your legs round together; a cushion cover over the top will make it less noisy and more attractive.

Baths are a major no-no as so painful to get into and out of, instead when you've had your shower turn the shower on cool (not cold!) and spray lightly onto your pelvis, to help with swelling again.

Instead of a support band, get a strong scarf and tie it around your hips fairly tightly; will help hold you together. And more attractive than the bands!!

They say to sit in rigid backed chairs to give you more support, instead of on a sofa where you slump slightly. This hurts me more, I have to be on the sofa. Even my birth ball (normally meant to help) puts me into agony, though I have the added problem of dislocating hips so that might be because of that instead.

When in bed have a pillow between your thighs/knees to give your hips more support as less drag on them. And roll onto your side , swinging your legs over the side of the bed - together - as you sit up, so that you end up sitting on edge of bed. Much easier than trying to do it one leg at a time.

Another shower one; hold onto the wall or oh's arm when getting in and out, you never know when your leg is suddenly going to refuse to hold you up :roll:
  • Options
    The other one I remembered is to sit down to put on trousers or a skirt and sit down to take them off! Stepping into clothes so all your weight is on one leg isn't great!