Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

breastfeeding second baby with a toddler

i expressed breastmilk for 6 wks as my son neever latched on-despite tounge tie correction and numerous attempts. anyway i bottle fed after this time. i want to try breastfeed again with my second but im worried about the time involved with having a 2 year old! if the baby feeds for long/frequent periods ect.

Replies

• im worried about this too.. dd1 will be 18months and she still has an obsession with my boobs. her hand goes down the cleavage whenever shes tired or needs comfort. she doesnt try and suckle but im worried about how shes going to react to another baby on "her" boobs! :roll:

i wouldnt worry too much about the time spent breastfeeding your newborn, you would be spending that time bottlefeeding too!

the way i see it is that they will just have to get used to it... im not expecting it to be easy!!

good luck!!!image
  • I breastfed Theo for 6 weeks and then I breastfed Lily when she came along. I didn't find the actual feeding anymore time consuming than washing, sterilising and making up feeds etc but I just found the pressure too much. Everytime she stirred it was generally for food and the only person who could provide that was me! I found not being able to hand her over so someone else could feed her and give me a break really hard and I think Theo and Abby found it difficult because I was always holding Lily, if someone else could have fed her I'd have been able to give my other two more time.

xx
  • i was always under impression breastfeeding took longer than bottle feeding,as you can feed for an hour at a time some have told me, i never fed my son longer than 10-20 mins at time,including burping ect. making up feeeds doesnt take long,and sterilising and washing my hubbie could do really. i guess its like what you said pickles, im worried about the time spent at each feed and my son feeling more left out than he already may do,but that said i want my daughter to have the best start i can give,so its difficukt to decide.