Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Soooo, what's all this about waters breaking?!

So, I've no idea what this will be like! Never been around anyone when this has happened (strangely enough!). I also keep on feeling as if mine are going to break, baby is in pelvis and sometimes I feel like there is a lot of pressure down there :roll:

Also, and 2/3/4th timers, what happened with yours? Does it happen in your sleep or when walking? I have heard a couple of ladies who have had it on the loo! And does it always "pop"? I really have no clue, and do you get contractions before or after?! Ack!

Replies

• I'm a first timer too but have been with someone when their waters went but they were wearing a pad so it wasn't that bad, we were luckily in a restuarant waiting to be seated right by the toilets and because she was standing it didnt get on her dress, just her underwear and tights abit. She said there wasn't that much but changed pad (her midwife told her to save the one she was wearing so they could check it def was waters...gross! i took her home and we rang mat block...wasn't really dramatic at all!

I also have loads of pressure, normally at night and I'm convinced if i move they'll go, but not really sure what to expect.

Emma.xx
  • I had premature rupture of membranes last time so not sure if it's the same as for a term baby?! Basically I felt a bit wet and thought uh oh better go for a wee and when I got up after weeing I was still losing liquid! Had a look and it was the wrong colour for wee!! So called labour ward who told me to put a pad on and go in to be assessed. Drove myself to hospital and had a big gush of waters in the car!! Went everywhere and soaked my jeans image I then kept on leaking fluid all day...

So for me it started with a trickle before a big gush. But I had no indication it was going to happen, no pressure etc and certainly didn't hear a pop! But like I said, I've no idea if this is how it happens at term - will be interested in what the other ladies have to say!!!
  • I'm gonna go put a pad in :lol: .....
  • well mine just 'went' when I turned around to get something off the bed, it was like I was standing there having a wee!!

have been with my sister 3 times when her waters have gone and every time was different..... 1st they just gushed out and she was standing in a puddle, 2nd time she was lay on the bed in labour and they trickled out then the third one which still makes me giggle was like an elephant or large animal having a pee it was shooting out like a house pipe :lol: sorry shouldn't laugh but it was only a few weeks ago and I have never seen anything like it!! image xx
  • I was on the hospital bed when I felt a definate "pop pop" at the top left of my bump & it gushed out. My friend went to the loo & continued losing liquid after & realised it was her waters.

It's not usually as dramatic as tv makes out. My sister gave birth to her 2nd & he was still in his bag! Mw had to break it open over his head, she had a sudden fast delivery though.
  • So no warnings?! No contractions before hand or pressure/pain?! OMG I'm gonna have to make sure I wear a pad 24/7!!

Sorry, sometimes I find it really hard to visualise things! Doesn't help that I'm a little scared, like many of us!!
  • I've had mine broken twice and they went by themselves naturally once.

When they were broken for me they seemed to kind of just trickle out but when they went on their own oh my god I thought I was going to flood the ward! I was laid on the hospital bed having just been given a pessary to induce me, the mw who gave it to me told me my cervix was doing bugger all and I may aswell go to sleep as I would need a second pessary the next morning before they could break my waters and I was in for a long ride basically. Anyway, was laid on the bed watching holby city when I felt this pop, I thought it was the baby kicking then suddenly felt incredibly wet and my immediate thought was "oh crap I'm wetting myself!" but when I realised I had no control over it and it wasn't stopping I realised what it was and buzzed the mw! She came in and her jaw just dropped...she told me later that in 30 years of being a midwife she had never seen so much amniotic fluid come from one woman! I'd been having a few tightnings before they went but almost immediatly after they intensified and became much stronger and regular.

xx
  • I'd been having fairly painful contractions but was being induced so had been given a pessary a few hours previously, but oh boy did they hurt after my water broke!!
  • Good ? doll, I was googling this last night as sometimes I pee and then it carries on, but thats been last few weeks and when I thought it was it, there was no more so guessed just weak bladder now with all the pressure. I wished this pregnancy lark came with a step by step guide, like flat pack furniture. :lol: xxx
  • Oh wonderwoman40uk it is like flatpack furniture, Mothercare instructions that's all! Oh poor hubby making the wardrobe, I could not decipher them they were like hieroglyphics to me!! Mind you I am rubbish with furniture, hence OH on nursery making dutiesimage he quite enjoys it!

I want diagrams, timelines and forewarning! An alarm goes off on my phone, "15 mins till waters breaking!!"
  • wish i knew tbh!! i had mine broken in hosp both times :roll:

it was during induction procedings & both times it brought the pain much closer to home :lol: i would love...strange as that is... for them to go on their own this time, but maybe not out in public image
  • Hi, my waters only went 15 mins before Lily was actually born but I know they can go well before.

I think from what I have read it is more common for contractions to start beofore the waters go.

That might explain why you don't see that many people in public places surrounded by puddles!

Mine went with a bit of a bang really whilst I was laid on the bed, I didn't see how much water there was & didn't really feel it cos i'd had an epidural at that point.

I hope mine don't go without warning this time cos I am having my carpets professionally cleaned as I type!

:lol:
  • :lol: I'll cross my fingers for you goldengirl!! I mean, that's it, I was wondering why I had never seen a pregnant ladies waters break, and of course if you're having contractions (or giving birth like lots of you!), you're not likely to go wandering about the place! Thanks image
  • From what I can remember I think my MW said only about 30% of women have their waters break before contractions start... If they do go when I'm somewhere public, I'd like it to be in somewhere where you get freebies... ie. mothercare you get a year's supply of nappies :lol: apparently the early learning centre & Harrods also give you freebies... trip to London anyone???

xxx
  • Harvey Nicks apparently give you ??500 vouchers if your waters break in there or go into labour proper, I wish I was near one here, I would wander aimlessly every day ha ha ha xx