Forum homeβ€Ί Archived Birth Clubsβ€Ί My baby was born in May 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

for those of us not breastfeeding....

I know this is down to personal choice but I just wondered if you had decided which formula you were going to use. I had thought Aptamil as apparently it is the closest to breast milk but I have just come back from lunch with a pal who is a paediatric nurse and she says she will be going for SMA gold as this is what the consultants in the hospital prescribe. This may well be down to cost as I know Aptamil is more expensive but just wondering if you girls had any words of wisdom about any of the brands as apparently you get to choose which brand you want to use in hospital.

Replies

• Good for you rubysparkle, didn't wanna read and run, mainly becuase even though I'm gonna give breastfeeding a go, but I'm gonna keep a few cartons handy on advice from MILimage. I have done NO research, and really think I should now!

Good luck x
  • I'll be giving breastfeeding a go but will have a few cartons of Aptamil on standby. When lo was in SCBU that was the formula the nurses (unofficially) recommended.
  • I was going to go with Aptimal, as 'everyone says' etc but have heard good stuff about SMA too and tbh will very much depend on what the hospital have on offer as If Princess gets on OK with whatever the best choice there is. Ive also looked at Cow & gate as thats what I had, and Hipp Organic, omg so much choice, have no real clue ha ha xx
  • I think it's like nappies, so many choices, it's good to go with recommended, but I think that at the end of the day it's your choice and they wouldn't make it if some mums didn't buy it! I will probably go with cheap/organic, and make sure I have branded on standby lols! I hope some more experienced mums help, otherwise that'll have to do!!
  • I'm going to breastfeed at least initially but if it doesnt work or I mix feed etc I'll go with aptamil as that's what I used with Theo. However it's good to try one and see if they get on ok with it - eg no diarrhoea or constipation etc. If baby doesn't react too well try another!
  • I'm going to try and breast feed but have a few cartons of the ready made SMA gold as was told its the best for newborns, not really thought about it much after that but i was told that there are only minor difference between the types because WHO tell tham what has to go in it.

Emma.xx
  • I couldn't breastfeed last time and choose SMA gold for Lucie as I read all Lucie suffered major constipation from just weeks old and the Dr's couldn't find why, 12 months later I changed her to cow and gate toddler milk and she never suffered constipation again, so I will be using cow and gate this time.
  • my ds is just over 5 months and has been on sma since birth - i had wanted to bf but it wasnt to be - he has been fine on it HOWEVER the powder and the ready made cartons have slightly different ingredients and he did suffer with excess wind when having the cartons so we stopped them at 3 weeks (when we realised & did some further research) we tried the ready made cartons again at 17 weeks and he's been great on them so i think there is an element of trial and error as what suits one may not suit all & their digestive system is continuously developing - sorry if that has confused anyones decision just wanted to share my experiences x
  • BF didn't work out with DS and when I moved to formula I used Aptimal which suited him well for a short while, but then found it started to upset his tummy. Therefore we changed to Cow and Gate and that suited him really well. I think it will be the case that most of us will change formulas at least once as our baby's digestive systems change xx
  • I used sma with my first and had no problems with it so used it again with my second and he had sooo many problems on it. It made him really constipated, windy and gave him colic so I switched to aptimal and he was fine on that. I also used aptimal when I stopped bfing my youngest so will have some aptimal cartons in just incase.

Its a really personal thing, what works for one baby wont work for another.

xx
  • I'm going to try bf too but will have a tub of aptamil on standby as it's good for combination feeding too, with ds we used sma and never had any problems with it, I agree with you all that it's trial and error and just personal choice!! xx
  • I mix fed DD & we used cow and gate. I used sma for first few days as that's what they had in hospital but I found it smelly and stained all her clothes. Cow and gate doesn't seem to have any smell and didn't stain as badly. I know it sounds like a strange reason but the smell of sma really put me off and DD would always smell of it!

I'm ready with the cow and gate again this time but am hoping to find bf a bit easier second time around. If it doesn't work well again this time I'll probably throw the towel in sooner as of course DD is perfectly healthy and bright despite having formula. I always take my hat off to mums (especially 1st time mums) who are strong enough to say no to bf if they don't want to despite all the pressure heaped on by the midwives. I'll be taking cow and gate ready to feed bottles into hospital with me and will whip them out proudly when I need to use them!
  • i wasnt able to breastfeed my boys & both had SMA if this problem arrises again i will deff go for sma as they both got on so well with it!!

the ready made cartons are a lifesaver too so if your stocking up on milk get some in!!

this is a great help if you have to take your own into hosp..... (the policy is forever changing at our hosp)

http://www.boots.com/en/SMA-First-Infant-Milk-Starter-Pack-12-x-100ml_955186/

im pretty sure most supermarkets have these now too!! xx
  • hiii, you have a fellow bottle feeder right here image i think i'm going for sma as lots of people have recommended it to me xx
  • I used Aptamil with Lily & will do the same for this one.

I don't know why really but I was fed on Milupa all those years ago & Aptamil is made by Milupa so I figured if it is still around after more than 30 years it must be o.k.

xxx
  • thanks girls it's good to get some insight into other people's experiences. It's a bit of a minefield and I guess it's like many things that just because it's the most expensive it's not necessarily the best for your baby I won't be stocking up on one particular brand until I know what suits him individually xx