Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2011

My birth story!!

Well I finally managed to get back on the computer to share the details of our little man's early appearance into the world. Here goes:

I had been getting mild contractions off/on since the Thursday but they never came to anything. We went in on Monday for our usual monitoring (with Abi in tow) and as my bile acid levels were a little raised they decided they were going to induce me that day rather than wait until the Wednesday as planned. It was a bit of a shock, but thankfully the bags were all packed & in the car ready but stupidly we had brough Abi with us so frantically had to get something sorted for her.

I was taken through to the maternity ward and was given the pessary at 11.15am and lazed about for a bit waiting on my dh getting back. He took forever to appear because apparently he just had to upgrade his mobile phone on the way in :roll: The contractions started to build within an hour or so but weren't too bad so we went for a little walk. After 10/15mins we had to go back to the ward as the contractions were far to intense to be walking around. I was examined again around 4pm and was 2-3cms dilated so the midwife gave me a sweep, my waters decided to break while she was still in the process image

I was moved up to the delivery suite pretty much straight away as they were quite quiet and by this point my contractions were only about 1-2min apart. My dh had gone again to get an overnight bag sorted for Abi as we didn't expect things to progress so quickly. I was examined again around 6pm and was 4cm dilated, I was insisting on the epidural by this point but it was taking forever to come so I started on the gas & air (amazing stuff!!).

The contractions were coming with pretty much no break in between by the time the epidural lady came so she was having trouble getting it into my back. This went on for around 15min until I got the sudden urge to push and started panicking as she still had the needle in my back and was shouting at me to stay still. I tried my absolute hardest to stay still for her but I was desperate to push and had to give in. At this point my dh finally made it back into the room. They didn't believe me that I needed to push as it hadn't been that long since they examined me last, so she asked the epidural lady to wait a minute so she could examine me. Low and behold, there was bubba crowning (OUCH!!). They managed to get me onto my side and 2 pushes later Finnlagh Mason Black was born, at 7.31pm & weighing 7lbs 12oz. I am so proud of myself doing it on just gas & air when I was adamant I wanted an epidural. My dh was lucky that he made it and has been very apologetic since image

Our little man is just absolutely AMAZING and I'm so in love with him. We got out of hospital on Wednesday and it's so nice to finally be settled in at home with him & his big sister bonding nicely.

Sorry, this has turned into a bit of a novel image I hope that more babies start to appear very soon and I can't wait to hear your stories.

Replies

• Ah lovely story hun, huge congrats to you and whole family, wishing you all a very happy family life together. xx
  • Congratulations and a great birth story.

Well done you on just gas and air.

I had to giggle at your Oh getting a new phone. He he, glad he made it just in time though.

Well done image and congratulations again.

x x
  • CONGRATULATIONS!!! xxx image
  • lovely birth story! you done really well with just gas and air too so well done you!!!

glad your all doing well, welcome to the world finnlagh!! xx
  • Congratulations and well done hun sounds like you managed brilliantly I'm hoping for a bit of a break between contractions but I've been hearing a few birth stories recently and there hasn't been much respite between them lol xx
  • Lovely story, you progressed nice & quickly!! image

At least hubs made it on time (just) and loving the name for your wee man!!

Whose next then, come on Garfield!!!!
  • Oh wow! What a fab birth story. You did amazingly well and I'm very pleased your hubby made it back in time!
  • aww hun a gorgeous story! congratulations and well done you! enjoy your little man.... soo jealous! lol xxx
  • Fab story and well done to you! Enjoy your family time with your new little man! xxx
  • Awww congratulations!! That's a lovely birth story image xx
  • Ah how lovely and what a lovely quick induction!

Enjoy your little man, love the name.

xx
  • well u did it without the epidural! well done!!! image

im glad im not the only one who was loving the gas and air! :lol:
  • Congratulations to you all! How wonderful to hear another straight forward and uncomplicated birth. Well done you! X
  • Fab birth story!! Congrats Huni xxxx
  • Congratulations and well done you doing it all on g&a!

Your boy is just beautiful, you make a lovely family!

xx