Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My Birth Story

Hi Girls

Sorry for not been on since my birth announcement, but things have been slightly hectic.

My little monkey is just having a snooze so I am taking opportunity to write my story and up load some pics.

Soooo I let you know my waters had broken and that I was off to hospital on Tues 17. All through Monday and Tuesday I was getting irratic contractions ranging from 1 hour apart to 20 mins. Monday night came and went and we had been told to go in to the labour suite at 6 on Tuesday night. So with everything packed in the car off we locked up the house to go. The moment I steppend out of the house the contractions kicked in big time. I had to drive the 15 mins to hospital with gritted teeth and crossed legs. I was admitted on to the antenatal suite and told after examination I was only 3 cms dilated. I was gutted as the contractions were coming thick and fast now, and my mum and my husband were doing their best to distract me but nothing worked. At 10pm I begged for gas and air, but was told that there was no room on the labour ward, and that as soon as they could take me over they would but it was more likely than not going to be in the morning unless somehting more happened. I was literally getting contractions every 5 - 10 mins now and they were so strong that when they told me that it was unlikly that I wouldnt get gas and air I begged for pethadine. They gave me my own room and a shot and for 2 hours me and my husband managed to sleep. By 2am it had worn off.

I had 2 baths, bounced on a birthing ball, squeezed the husbands hands and literally cried, it hurt so much! At 6.30 I couldnt stand it any longer and my husband was about to throw a wobbler and demand I was taken over to labour ward when in walked the midwife and said come on then lets take you over.

The midwifes nurse was waiting for me with the gas and air and I sucked in for all I was worth! The midwife who was assigned to me explained that she was only on shift for the next hour and rather than put me through 2 internals she was going to wait for the next midwife to take over. She busied herself getting all the infor the next midwife would need and in no time at all my midwife Jo was taking over and informed me I was 8cms dilated and that it was too late for an epidural and that if I had more pethadine it could cross over the placenta. It was decided that I would go forward with g & a and that since she was a hynobirthing teacher she would help me with my breathing etc.

The contractions were coming one on top of the other now and my hubby rang my mum to tell her to get to us quick as she could. My midwife Jo kept giving Paul jobs to do and then sent him for a cup of tea. I could have sworn he had gone to india for the bloody tea - he seemed to take that long!

My mum arrived and we got down to the business of pushing the baby out, and after almost doing it I just couldnt get the baby out of the last bit. After 2 nights of no sleep and labouring mostly on just gas and air I was exhausted. We just werent getting anywhere and by this time I was howling like a banshee - one born every minute had nothing on me! My mum said I kept begging for help, saying I couldnt do anymore, so Jo got me the doctor and has my little monkey's heart rate dropped a little they decided to use Kiwi Ventouse.

I had to have a small cut, but unfortunately things from that point went pear shaped. My gorgeous little baby was put on me for skin to skin and I started bleeding out as the doctor caught a blood vessel and I lost 600ml of blood, which they werent concerened with but as my doctor started to deliver the placenta she fell off her stool backwards and smashed her head on the floor! We ended up with a doctor for my doctor! Because of this mishap I ended up with a spinal block and in theatre for a retained placenta. After all my hard work without an epidural I wasnt best pleased as you can imagine. Hubs was taken off with monkey and iwas wheeled to theatre. When I came round i was in recovery and they wheeled me off to my little family. It was the best sight ever seeing my gorgeous husband with my beautiful son. We both cried - hubs with relief that i was ok, it really hit him when he was sat on his own with our baby.

I ended up having 3 nights in hospital after the birth as due to anemia in pregnancy and the blood lost at the birth I needed a blood transfusion.

Sorry if Ive gone on but once i started to remember I couldnt stop writing.

Replies

• Options
    Thanks for sharing! sounds very dramatic with the doctor needing a doctor! Also I know how you feel re the spinal block I didnt have one for labour either but had to have one after as I had a third degree tear and needed to be stitched up in theatre!

Do you have a name for your little man? xxxx
  • Options
    Oh my life, what a lot you have been through! So glad all is well now and thank you for sharing your story, it made me well up to hear about seeing your family together for the first time, just lovely! xxx
  • Options
    Huge congratulations! Hope you're recovering well and enjoying your new little bundle! X x x
  • Options
    Congrats hon, you did really well. The poor doctor! Bet she never lives that down! lol. Really glad you're home now though, no wonder you're feeling teary after all that! xxx
  • Options
    Wow that's sounds like a traumatic build up and delivery, glad you are all doing well now though image Big congrats!