Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2011

What is all this back ache and period pain???

I'm only 39+2 and not yet at the desperate to get the baby out stage, although am ready is he/she is.....I'm so confused with this tho!

Last Friday and yesterday/early this morning I've had bouts of really painful period pain, my bump hurting as well as abdomen and back ache lasting for a few hours with increased braxton hicks. It's very painful and I'm unable to get comfortable or concentrate on anything else. Yesterday DH had to get a train to me at my mums so he could drive me and DD home as I couldn't have managed it. Yesterday I also felt too nauseus to eat dinner and felt really really hot.

I didn't have this with DD. Just loads of BH leading up to the onset of labour which just started with sudden, obvious, painful contractions. So I'm finding this really annoying. I don't mind if the baby doesn't come for a few more days but I don't want to feel in pain and unwell in the meantime!

Last night I was up for three hours with the pain, so kept thinking that something must be getting started and perhaps I'm just in for a completely different labour this time but now all has eased off again!

Has anyone had this before? What is it? :?

Replies

• It does sound like the start of labour, maybe you're already in slow labour??

If you're concerned call your mw.

Xx
  • Had it for a coupla weeks now I'm afraid, hope it leads to something bigger for you x
  • I was going to say maybe it is slow labour? Might be worth getting checked over, you may well be dilating happily so all the pain and illness is not in vain image Fingers crossed! xx
  • I know this will sound stupid but what is 'slow labour'? I'm so confused and naive for a second timer! image
  • Its basically your body getting baby into the right position, starting to soften your cervix and make it ready for the proper labour when you start dilating; but you can dilate in slow labour as well. I've been told I was in slow labour for a few days before my sweep as had these pains on and off, and at my sweep I was 3cm dilated!

Certainly sounds like you're in slow labour, but it can last for weeks. Best to mention it to your mw and see if she will check you over to see if anything is happening; dont be disappointed if she says no though, many wont bother until you're at least 40weeks (mine wouldnt even at 39+6!) Good luck hon, hope this is it for you xxx
  • Thanks for all replies. It would be wonderful if it's at least doing something to make labour quicker when it starts. I've got a mw appointment at 40wks next tues so I'll talk to her about it then as I'm not so much worried as confused. Maybe she'll check for me. X