Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2011

What age will you put them upstairs to bed?

Just wondering really, if memory serves me correctly I began doing the bath bottle & in the Moses basket upstairs of an evening from about 8 or 9 weeks with Charlotte but she got into a 3 hourly routine very quickly herself so it was easy. Began sleeping thru the night at 12 weeks.

I'm forward planning and thinking when to do the same for Thomas but as his evening routine is still a bit hectic as he feeds alot I'm not sure when to start it? (plus still need to buy a baby monitor).

So what age will you start putting them to bed upstairs for the night?

Replies

• Probably similar to you... about 8 weeks or so. Mind you not sure how to manage the evening routine with a toddler and a baby? Will have to try and work that out first! Hubby not usually home from work til gone 7pm so after I've put ds1 to bed. So I will be doing the evening routine on my own for the two of them...
  • hey hun!

We started last night!

weve been doing bath, bottle, bed since day we came home. i was putting Gracie down in her moses basket downstairs but was disturbing her by moving her upstairs when i went to bed so we bought some baby monitors yesterday (video ones) and put Gracie down upstairs at 8pm she slept through till 2.30am and then 7.30am so good first night image xxxx
  • I probably wont start for a few weeks yet. With the other three to look after during the day the evenings are the only quality time I really get with Freddy!

xx
  • I started doing it when he was 2 weeks old - simply because he didn't fit in his moses basket so had no other choice!! When he was still on the boob he would more often than not end up downstairs with me most of the evening anyway, but if he had a doze it would be upstairs.

Now he's on bottles he's upstairs after his 8pm feed and stays up there until his 8am feed - with 1 feed in the middle. xx
  • We're kind of half way there now but I stay upstairs too - I get some shut eye myself too! Basically at 7pm we go up for a bath for ds1 which has always been our routine so Owen goes in with him. He's only in for a few minutes and then i get him out and dressed on the bathroom floor (on his changing mat not on the tiles!!). Then I get Theo out and dressed and then we all clamber into my bed an I feed Owen and theo plays and then around 8pm hubs takes Theo to his room for milk, story and bedtime. I stay cuddling Owen / finish feeding etc but if I were on my own I'd put him in Moses basket while I put Theo to bed. Then hubs and I sit in bed, chat, read or sleep! If I weren't so tired and hopefully in a few weeks when I am more confident about putting Owen down and that he'd stay asleep and not wake Theo up if he woke up I'll be coming downstairs!!
  • Well after not doing the 11pm feed last night we had a brilliant nights sleep but Harry's routine is all over the place this morning so might re-introduce the 11pm feed and see how we go!!! Utterly messed up his routine and Daniel is majorly upset with me because of it!! Oops. I should learn not to tamper.... but he will have his bath and 7pm feed, into cot upstairs until his 11 dream feed and then straight back to bed. If he's howling before his 11 feed I will bring him down with me and cuddle him to keep him calm, otherwise he will wake Daniel up, but hes normally ok. xx
  • We started at 2 weeks last time putting DS1 up in our room at 7pm. He slept really well til his dream feed before we went to bed. This time i'm BF on demand so he will stay with us until he's a bit older. Will probably try when he's around 2 months and hopefully in more of a routine. xxxx
  • Im so confused by all this. My mini man is 2 months and he does sleep from about 8 then dream feed about 10.30 - 11 then comes up to bed when we do and into his cot in our room. I thought it was best that babies are with you for first 6 months so am anxious about him going up to cot bed alone :-/