Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Flat head syndrome?

Feel awful worrying about this when Moominmummy and BoB have got real concerns but can't stop myself fretting.

From day 1 Peter has always lain with his head turned to the right. The midwives said his head was in a funny position during delivery which is why I needed the ventouse -I guess this may also have contributed. Anyway, he's now almost 7 weeks old and the right side of his head has already really flattened out and his head is definitely assymetrical when viewed from above. To me it's already quite noticeable and I really don't want it to get any worse and for him to end up in one of those helmets! So, I did some research and have ordered a Lilla Kuddis pillow for him. Apparently these are now recommended by the Swedish Health Board for all newborns to prevent flat head syndrome and there's been no increase in SIDS there since they've been using them which reduces one of my concerns. I'm hoping this pillow will stop the flattening getting any worse but I'm wondering about also taking Peter to see a cranial osteopath for some advice. I try and give Peter as much tummy time as possible and when he's awake and playing on his mat I can normally encourage him to turn his head to the left with toys (he obviously finds it trickier though). However, he absolutely refuses to sleep with his head to the left. I try and turn his head gently once he's asleep and he either refuses to turn it or does turn and then goes straight back again!

Does anyone else's LO have or has had this problem? Any advice?

Replies

• My dd got a bit flat on the back of her head because that's how she always laid down, but once she was moving about a bit more & grown a bit it soon sorted itself out.

I would say if you're concerned speak to your hv Hun. Xxx
  • we ahve same problem. josh has been lying on his right side and ive seen flat head developing.

all ive done is roll something up like blanket or soft towel like a big sauasage (lol) and propped it around his head as a support to stop him lying on the 1 side so much. wouldnt worry too much, these things tend to sort themselves out when they start moving about a bit more.

xxx
  • Thanks Lambchop. It's good to know your dd's got better once she started moving around. I'm hoping that's the case with my LO but was panicking cos it seems so pronounced already. I also pop rolled up muslins round his head jojo to help with his positioning and the pillow I ordered arrived yesterday. It actually makes it much easier for me to turn his head the right way when he's on the pillow so hopefully that should stop it getting any worse.