Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in May 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Considering giving up breastfeeding...

I'm seriously considering giving up breastfeeding... I don't want to but I'm concerned that lo is not thriving. Since the mix up with his birth weight he has been weighed frequently. We think his birth weight was 7lb 2oz and naturally he lost some weight in the first few days etc. However, the concern is that he is not gaining much weight. He will be 5 weeks on Monday and is only now 7lb. He has dropped from 25th to 9th now to 2nd centile. My HV is very supportive and says as long as he is gaining weight not losing it then it's ok and just a matter of time before the weight piles on. I'm not so sure... so far he is putting on at best about 1 or 2 oz a week. The HV is coming back when he is 6 weeks to weigh him again. In my mind if he hasn't had a good weight gain by then I think I will have to swap to formula feeding to help him gain weight.

What do you think? How long would you give it if your lo was not really gaining weight? As much as I want to breastfeed I can't see the point if lo just isn't thriving. Btw I have been eating healthily and increased the amount of carbs I'm eating and milk etc I'm drinking on HV advice in case the issue is with my supply.

Replies

• Could you maybe add some formula feeds in so you don't need to give up bf'ing completely?
  • We already do some combined feeding... lo has breast then a large bottle for his bedtime feed (11pm) and if I ever feel he is still hungry after having both breasts I give him a formula top up though I must admit this isn't often...
  • Sounds like you have a good plan to wait til 6 weeks then review it. I know some BF babies can be slow to gain at first and then pile it on. Has the HV given you any ideas?

You probably are but is baby being fed on demand? Or at least every 3 hours if baby doesn't demand food frequently. If so, i'd have a chat with HV and rethink at 6 weeks. You could always introduce another formula feed and if DS starts to put on more you have the option of cutting back on forumla later on.

Must be really annoying how they messed up Griff's birth weight! Doesn't help things. I know hard it is on you when they're slow to gain. DS1 had reflux and wouldn't take much formula, those weeks were tough.

Let us know how you get on xx
  • Thanks everyone

Lo is fed on demand... so today as it's been hot I notice he's been feeding more often, every 2 hours. Perhaps a second formula feed might be the way forward? HV suggested that I need more rest and to eat \ drink more... Griff is very unsettled still though this is getting better, so I'm not getting that much sleep. She suggested I have 2 litres of full fat milk every day with pureed banana! That's more than 3 pints!!! So I've been trying to follow that and have managed a litre of milkshake with 4 bananas in pretty much every day. That does seem to have helped my milk supply so I guess it's just a question of waiting til first week of July when lo gets weighed again...