Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Baby sleep and carrying

So I have a couple of questions!

How much did/does your babe sleep at 4 wks old? Holland seems to sleep alot, maybe 18-20 hrs a day, sometimes the wake periods are at night, which is not ideal of course! But I wondered when she will be more awake and 'into' things as when she is a wake now she is usually grumbly or crying - obviously we make sure she is fed, burped and clean and then try talking or singing to her but with her possible hearing loss I'm not sure she hears us very well.

The other question is do you carry your baby around most of the day or are they content to sit in a swing chair or bouncy chair, Holland doesn't seem to settle on her own well so either dh or I end up carrying her around most of the day - again not ideal but I wonder if it's because she is still so young? As she gets older will she be more interested in her play mat or bouncy chair?

Replies

• Well Griff is nearly 6 weeks old and sleeps not very much at all! I reckon since 4 am this morning he has had not even 4 hours sleep (nor me!) He is very unsettled, cries a lot of the time unless one of us is holding him. In contrast my older son slept lots at this age, could self settle etc... So I guess they are just all different!
  • Owen is like this. He's 7 weeks now and waking up a bit more but he still sleeps the majority of the time and if I held him all day I reckon he'd just sleep and eat with no real awake time!

My first son was not much of a sleeper but he wasn't interested in playmat etc til he was over 2 months at least. I mean he'd lie on it for a short spell but he wasn't interested in it.

My problem is Owen gets unsettled if he's not sleeping usually and the only way I can settle him is to feed him or carry him in the baby bjorn - only if I put him in straight after a feed, asleep or nearly asleep. He won't take a dummy and doesn't like the pushchair or car seat and similarly with possible hearig loss he doesn't respond to shhh-ing or singing. Occasionally swaying or patting or rubbing his back works but mainly it's just feeding. Today ive been trying to put him down more but it means ive been feeding him loads as he ends up getting all wound up. Not sure what I'm doing anymore! :roll:
  • I'm the same Moomin, Holland goes from alseep to screaming the house down in a matter of seconds to tell me she's hungry! She goes bright red and holds her breath and this is all within a minute as I don't leave her crying for any length of time, she does this even though I am holding her getting her milk ready. I said to my Mum today I wish she would be awake more but be more content when she is awake as she only seems to get fussy and cry when she is awake and want food rather than stimulation.....I hope this will correct with time :roll: I too have to carry her to get her to settle and sleep.
  • Newborns typically sleep around 16+ hours in any 24 hour period so holland sounds about right. I would say Thomas has only just started being awake more the last few days and he's 7 weeks, although he is still a stroppy mister it must be said.

All kids very, my dd only cried when hungry. She wouldn't even cry if she needed a bum change where as Thomas cries for hunger, nappy, cuddles, the works!
  • Jacob is 5 weeks and exactly the same. If we put him down in the day to sleep he goes mental and like Owen all that settles him is feeding again. Makes life very difficult with a toddler as well!

He will sit in his bouncy chair for a while and look around but won't sleep there or in his moses. He tends to fall asleep whilst BF then I try to put him down and all hell breaks lose so i have to go and get him and usually start feeding again! I can't remember DS1 being like this. I think he was napping on his own early on. He was mixed fed tho so not needing to be fed so frequently so think it helped.

He does sleep in the car and his sling if we are out but not so good in his pram. So yes we do seem to end up holding him whilst he sleeps most of the time!

They do get much better at self settling as they get older. I saw a definite improvement with ds1 after 6 weeks, he started crying less and staying happily awake for longer. He could lie on his play gym for longer and was interested in toys. After 2 months even more improvement.

Jacob is becoming more alert but he's a more sleepy baby than ds1. xx
  • I wish Rammy wasn't so awake sometimes, not much to do with her at this age!! Bad day today, slept through the night so she barely slept today but gets gribbly because she gets so frustrated not being able to play with her toys and she gets tired easy image I'm soooo tired now imageops:
  • Oh good, it's reassuring to know Holland is not alone in her habits! I guess in a few weeks she will start to be a little less grumpy! I love her to bits of course, especially given all that we went through to have her but boy is this hard work!! image
  • Don't worry it definitely gets easier and more rewarding. I think nobody can prepare you for how much hard work a baby is but don't worry it's not you! This is the hardest but IMO because they ant communicate abb???? you're still learning their ways plus you don't get much back yet in terms if smiles, giggles etc. Hang on though and it will soon be much easier xxx