Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

when are 1st app/ scans?

hello ladies and congrats to everyone on their bfp's!!

i am pregnant with my second, my son is 10.5 months, so only a small age gap.

i recieved my maternity booklet through the post and my 1st appointment is 11th october and 1st scan will be discussed then. I thought this seemed so far away... i think i am 6+4at the moment and from my 1st i only had to wait about a week!! unless they have changed here (hull)

When, if you have found out, are your first app/scans?

xxxx

Replies

• My midwife appointment is 28th Sept, my doctor gave me a telephone number so I could call the midwives myself, which I did on Friday, not sure if that speeded things up but I thought your booking appointment was supposed to be about 8 weeks and your first scan 12 weeks? I'll be 8 1/2 weeks at my appointment
  • I have my first appointment at 8+4 too but the midwife wanted to wait even longer 9 weeks +, apart from a private scan i wont of seen or heard from anyone besides calling to make me appointment last week!

I thought 8+4 was really late, does that mean they will give you a scan date at this appointment?

The is my first baby and my doctors wont even confirm you have to make an appointment straight with the midwife so 8+4!

• Hiya girls and huge congrats!! I'm 6+1 and my first midwife appointment is tomorrow morning! Also have had an appointment letter through for my scan which is on 20th October, I'll be 11 and a half weeks then all being well, seems like years to wait!! Am going to ask tomorrow about having a private early scan, pondering123 is this what u had? Xxxxxxx
  • blimey cantwaitforlos! Scan date through already, how exciting! image

Its so interesting how different areas vary on how the procedure happens.

I went to the doctors only today for the im pregnant appointment. I then had to book in to see the health visitor and was told we are usualy not seen by one untill we are a good 7-8 weeks.

So my health visitor appointment is in 2 weeks.. so i guess thats classed as my "booking in" and from then on i suppose scan dates come through etc.
  • I have my doctorsappointment wednesday to tell them I am pregnant and then they refer you to the midwife. I will be 5+4 ish. In our area you then get your midwife appointment through post and your scan through post aftermidwife appointment.

xx
  • I havent had it yet i am only 5+3 now so my first appointment isnt until the 4th Oct.

You dont get a doc's appointment at my surgery when i had to see them on another occasion on friday they said to call the midwife and that's how i got my appointment for the 4th oct.

We decided to book a private scan on our own as you dont need referal as we were going on hols and wanted to make sure everything is ok when we get back.

Slightly miffed that i have had nothing in the post! x
  • I didn't realise different areas do things differently. I went to the docs last Wednesday thinking they would confirm I was pregnant, but he didn't, he said they use clearblue tests, which is what I used, so there was no need to do another one (I did 4 tests!!!!!!) The doc just toook my height and weight and that was it. I then had to book my booking in appointment, which is 6th October, so I'll be 8 weeks. I think then they will discuss my scan, but I don't know if it gets booked then or sent by post. The receptionist also said I have to see the doctor 2 weeks after my booking in appointment, but I don't know what that appointment is for?! All very overwhelming!
  • Hi girls, how are we all doing? so I had my booking appointment with a midwife on Tuesday, it was really interesting! It wasn't with my actual midwife though as she's on leave. Filled in my pregnancy notes n went thru tons of stuff n got given a stack of stuff to read! Got our early scan booked for next Wednesday woooooop! It's sinking in a bit now! I haven't.had any blood tests or anything yet tho... or had my height or weight taken image it's so different in various areas isn't it!
  • I've not even been to the doctor yet to tell them.... I'll probably do it next week.
  • I'm still waiting to hear from my midwife. Hope they hurry up!!