Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

triple test confused :(

At my 12 week scan my baby was very naughty and wouldn't get in a correct position to get the nuchal measurement so i have been offered the triple test! I just accepted it and got my forms to have the test when i am 15 weeks . I have been reading up about it since and I'm not sure if i want to do it image The results aren't very accurate and if something shows up they offer a amniocentesis which i WOULDN'T have so is there much point in having the triple test??? Agghh sooo confused image:cry:image

please i would love your opinions xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi Carlyfee,

I'm affraid i can offer no advice as i have never heard of the triple test before - anybody would think this is my first pregnancy i keeping learning new things all the time this time round!

All i can say is to take your time to make a decision and dont be pressured into any one particular choice.

xx

baby_princess

• Options
    Ive not heard of this either. But if the nuchal test came back as high risk then they offer an amnio then too. So if you wouldnt have one either way then maybe there is no need to have the nuchal or triple test? xnx
  • Options
    I'm afraid I've not heard of the triple test either. It's completely up to you so do take some time to think about it, would you rather be prepared and know if something was wrong or would you rather not know until baby is born? Once you've answered that question for yourself then you'll have your answer about taking the triple test, the same applies for the amnio if you get offered it.

It's hard having to make these decisions isn't it xx
  • Options
    Probably silly comment, but can you request nuchal scan again? When mine was difficult on monday, they said they thought they would have to get me back later in the week. Have you spoken to mid wife? If you are still in time scale surely they can do??

Annie
  • Options
    I was told that they don't re book for the nuchal test in my areaimage The reason i am most worried is that the triple test is NOT accurate, so if it comes back high risk i know i wouldn't want the amniocentesis because of the risk of miscarriage. so i may be worrying over nothing for months! or it may come back clear and still might be something wrong!!

It seems like a waste of time image or is it??

The triple test was the only downs test available before they introduced the nuchal test . they replaced it with the more accurate test , agghhhh i had the nuchal test with my son and had no dilemma at all ! ohh pants!!!!
  • Options
    I had the triple test and believe it is about 80% reliable with about a 5% false positive response? i may be wrong on the percentage. i personally am glad i had it as nuchal was not an available option. it is your decision however i felt it is accurate in the majority of cases so would have it again in future pg x
  • Options
    If you wouldn't have the amnio anyway (I wouldn't either) then why have the nuchal? I just had a dating scan, as even if the nuchal said I was high risk, I wouldn't have had the amnio.
  • Options
    I think i will give the triple test a miss image i haven't even got a mw apt before its due to discuss it! image Suppose i should ring her ?
  • Options
    I had the triple test with both my pregnancies. First once came back (I was 23 at the time) with a risk factor of 1 in 1850 (which i thought was good at the time) until my 2nd pregnancy 10 years later with my son which showed 1 in 17000 !!!! so big difference and both were considered low risk. I would (and have) had just the triple test. This time I have both the nuchal and the blood so now it's called a combined test. My cousin came back with high risk on combined test, had amnio and results were normal and baby was fine too.

It's your decision but maybe seek advice from your midwife, see what she can help you out with.

Melissa 13+1 xx
  • Options
    i never had tests with my first pregnancy and i never with this one because i dont believe in abortion, i also feel that the only thing this test would have done for me would be to make me worry about my child being "high risk"
  • Options
    G/C but could u not have a private scan to try the nuchal test again? You'd have to pay for it but might be worth it to put your mind at rest?
  • Options
    I haven't got the money for Private scans I'm disappointed they wouldn't rebook, but will live with it image I am under shared care this time and see my consultant a week on Monday so will ask there i think x i know they can't persuade u one way or the other but basic facts would be nice. and reading on the Internet is not always a good idea!!!! every site says different things image