Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Pink/Blue or White

Hi Ladies,

Reading on other threads there is much debate about finding out the gender of bubs at 20+ weeks scan appointments. We never found out with our first baby and i'm pretty sure we'll leave it as a surprise this time round too but i can see the benefits of finding out in terms of getting 'prepared' for a boy or girl.

What are you ladies planning to do?, find out if you're team blue or pink or keep the surprise team white?

xx

baby_princess

ps - i know when i told my mum that we weren't going to find out she was extremley shocked, left me feeling a bit disappointed that i'd disappointed her by not wanting to find out! strange emotions we have to go through during these 9 months!

Replies

• I am going to find out if i can! LOL I can't do surprises image Also i had a boy last time and have all his new born things i can sort it all out either way when i find out image I like to be organised image xx but if they can't tell at 20 week scan i don't think i'd have a private scan, but would have to see how i feel image:lol:
  • Me and OH are in two minds but to be honest I'm going more towards not finding out. I want the excitement of guessing right up until the very end and think not knowing might give me that extra strength during labour! Plus its our first so no real 'need' to know. We will just do the nursery in neutral colours and buy whites/creams/yellows. Afterall once our very large family know what we've had they will go out and start buying in the relevant colour anyway..... I think my mind is made up, lol.
  • Was just thinking about posting about this too! We did find out by mistake with our son at our 20 week scan last time but didn't let anyone know that we knew! So we are thinking we might do the same this time. But not sure yet. My husband really wants to know and keeps on about a private gender scan in 3 weeks. Oh I don't know! Xx
  • I'd find that so hard to know but not tell anyone... I'm sure I'd slip up and say he/she by mistake!!!
  • I don't think i'd be able to keep stum if i knew the sex of the new baby - it would be so hard not to slip he or she into a conversation!! My family make a big thing of new babies and run sweepstakes etc which is all very exciting leading up to the birth, its nice to have everyone as excited as you about finding out the sex - and like MrsM says not knowing gives you that extra little strength during labour to push :lol:

My MIL did say only a few nights ago that even if we have a girl this time we could still use my sons old baby grows at night and as spare changes as the baby wouldn't know it was wasn't in pink or a girly outfit! You can tell she had 2 sons can't you! haha,

xx

baby_princess
  • Ohh i'm not one for pink for a girl blue for a boy!! if i have a girl this time she will wear some blue baby grows. whats it matter? LOL but i did tend to go neutral even tho i knew xxx i prefer lovely vibrant colours image Ohhh I am so looking forward to knowing ! and knowing i was giving birth to a baby boy Gave me enough strength during labour imagex expect due to being weak from pre eclampsea i had an assisted delivery anyway image was all very emotional but thats a storey for another time image xxximageimage
  • Hi carlyfee - i had to have an assisted delivery too because i had exhausted myself pushing for 2.5 hours after an 18 hour build up of contractions every 1 to 1.5 minutes!! still doesn't put us off though haha! here we are second time around image

It was just my mum and me growing my dad wasn't on the scene and she dressed me like a doll everyday rain or shine so i think its breed into me that girls wear frills and bows and boys wear blue dungerees hehe :lol:

xx
  • I don't think it makes you any less eager to push if you know the sex!! You still want to meet your baby! And we still had the joy of letting everyone guess and wonder about the sex as they didn't know we knew. And hubby had the lovely job once he was here of letting everyone know he was a boy, much to everyone's surprise! Also we still bought all neutrals. Apart from a few blue bits very late on that obv no one saw. X
  • We have been talking about this to, if it was up to me (and i know really it is up to me) i would find out as i really like to plan and i do think there will be enough suprise on the day.

Hubby also really wants to know!

However everyone keeps telling me i will spoil the suprise and i should wait, which is making me feel bad image

xxx
  • hi pondering123 - dont feel bad, if you would like to know and your hubby agrees then it's your baby and if you guys want to know thats all the matters. if you friends/family want a surprise they can wait till labour day to find out. Do what makes you happy image

I'm a planner too so i'm surprised i want to wait to find out,

• hi jacobsmummy - i didn't meant to offend by saying not knowing gives you extra strength to push - i completely agree with you meeting this new life you have created is the reason us ladies summon all our strength on labour day image

xx
  • We are defo finding out- have booked a private gender scan for next week and are SO excited! We can't wait to start thinking of our little one as a he or she, to bond with them and to start planning and buying clothes. I always knew I'd want to find out and luckily for me hubby feels the same. However except for one family member, everyone else in our family thinks we're making a huge mistake and will miss out on the special surprise "It's a boy/girl!" moment when giving birth... I also feel bad for wanting to find out pondering123! But we've booked it now so that's that! We'll be keeping it secret after the scan and not telling anyone else except the one family member who wants to know- that'll be the hard part!!!

Does anyone have an inkling of what they might be having? Did you have inklings with your previous babies and were you right? I've had a 'feeling' ever since I realised I was PG, but have nothing whatsoever to base it on LOL, so it will be interestng to see if I'm actually right or not!! I don't mind either way, although having a little girly to wear matching little dresses with would be awesome lol!! image
  • hi cantwait - i had a feeling with my 1st pregnancy that it was a boy, can't explain why but gut told me so and i was right, this time i feel completely different to how i did with my baby boy but that doesn't count for much in terms of 'guessing' the sex i suppose as they say you never have 2 pregnancies the same. Hopefully i'll get an inkling soon like i did 1st time,

how exciting that you get to find out so soon image what are you feeling your baby is?

xx
  • Hi BabyPrincess! Wow so you were right! I've got a feeling it's a blue bump, but made the mistake of telling hubby that and now he's convinced we're having a boy- really regret saying anything to him as I think now he'll secretly be disappointed if it's a girl. He says he won't but he is utterly convinced, putting WAY too much confidence in my supposed mother's instinct LOL!!! Should've kept my mouth shut image
  • I'll send some blue dust your way CantWait image My hubby secretly hoped for a boy although he'd never say it out loud so when our son appeared he jumped so high he nearly hit the ceiling :lol: You never know if you have a pink bump he may just enjoy princess shopping a bit too much :lol:

xx
  • Can i ask another question, have any of you ladies purchased anything yet? I realise some of you have more children already and so wont need to buy anything.

I am really aprehensive about purchasing anything and wondered when you are all planning to buy.

This is our first and i am 14+4 image xxx
  • i haven't bought anything new for this baba yet, we have the pram and newborn car seat, cot etc already but cant wait to buy a few packets of newborn babygrows etc. Going to wait till the sales in the new year - can grab some great bargains in the sales image

xx
  • Thanks BabyPincess! I think he'd have been the same if I'dve said I thought it was a girl- he's just taken my word as gospel, saying who would know better than mummy LOL! Er, everyone as I literally know nothing!!! Next time I'll definitely keep any 'inklings' to myself!

Pondering123- I'm the same! Ater our 12 weeks scan me n OH planned to buy Baby one item each, and OH bought his item but I'm still to scared to buy anything, especially as we had a little scare at 13 weeks. So now at 15 weeks I still haven't got Bubs a thing image I don't know when I'll let myself do it... maybe atfer 20 weeks when we r past the half way mark. xxx
  • I didn't mean to offend anyone either :cry:

We all have our own ideas on what we want to do and the main thing is we do what we each want. The last thing anyone's family should be doing is making you feel bad.

I have a 'feeling' I'm having a girl, hubs has a 'feeling' we're having a boy so who knows!! lol.

I can't wait to start buying stuff but I've got to wait unitl we've sorted out baba's room, its currently the junk room!!! :lol:
  • Sorry if my post came across strong! It's just that I feel sometimes people get scared of finding out the sex, especially if it's their first baby as people say it's then not as special on labour day! Or they feel guilty for knowing or for wanting to know.

With Jacob when the Doppler was put on my belly at the 20 week scan it was straight on his willy and it was very obvious! I was so upset that we knew and worried that we had spoiled the lovely birth day. But when it came to the birth I had a fabulous experience and the fact I knew he was a boy didn't even enter my head. We were just so excited and so emotional that our baby was here!

What ever any of you decide is the right decision for you. And it's probably the first of many decisions about your baby that lots of people have differing opinions on! As trust me everyone has differing opinions on every decision you make here on! Lol! Xx