Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2013
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Telling people

When is everyone planning on telling people, I couldn't help myself and told my Parents yesterday who were over the moon. My husband was out with his dad and brother last night and so told them, he then didn't want to leave his mum out so popped round and on hearing the news she just shrugged her shoulders and said what do you want me to say ? Congratulations maybe? She Said how are you going o afford if ? We both work full time sort out our own child care we're so happy this is our last and she's tainted my husbands experience I feel like ringing her up! Ooh sorry that turned into bit of a rant My husbands now regretted telling them in case the worse happens so just wondering your thoughts? Rachel

Replies

• We told our parents in June, but then had a mc, so this time, we are waiting until the 12 week scan...not sure I can deal with telling people I'm prg and if we mc. It would just be too hard again for me.

I will probably tell work at some point, especially if I get morning sickness.

When are you due?

• Due the 3rd may - I had terrible morning sickness with my second meaning lots of help from parents/in laws

Also my father in law is getting married when we're 10 weeks along and I didn't want him finding out on the day and it over shadowing it.

Fingers crossed for sticky beans
  • I am really dying to tell someone but becuse of the history of mc, like Claire will try and wait till 12 week point, but might tell my best friend, she told me when she was pg very early on, so feel like I am ought to tell her.

Olliesmummy, sorry you had such negative reaction, maybe in time your in laws will realise and show more support and emotion, it must of been very hurtful. Don't think your in laws have right to comment whether you can/can't afford more children. You are adults and it is your family and your decission. Not making excuses for them but maybe it was a shock and as a result it came out as a negative reaction. Give them time I am sure they'll be happy for you.

xxx

• This is my fist pregnancy and I couldn't resist telling a few people. We've both told our parents/siblings and I've told a couple of close friends. I know it's better to wait, but I figured these were the people I'd tell if anything were to go wrong so I may aswell tell them now.

Just so excited!!

• Hi ladies, we've told my mum but not telling anyone else for a few weeks. I'll probably tell my 2 best friends in a couple of weeks but feel the need to keep it to ourselves as its so early (only 4+2).

I've just had a really busy month socially, been on a hen do abroad, my best friends 30th celebrations and a local music festival last weekend. Had a friends wedding yesterday and had to spin them a line about why I wasn't drinking, but now my social diary is empty for a while so I won't have any suspicions raised for avoiding nights out etc! Ha x
  • Ive told my best friends and my sister ...Im struggling to keep it in but i have to as i cant have work finding out yet . I am dreading telling the pil because they will probably say we are silly two is enough image

• I've told very close family & friends, I would tell them if something happened so may as well tell them now I guess, have had a early miscarriage before and also a buba who is now 3 so I suppose it could go either way but got to think positive xxx hugs to all and congrats on your BFP xx
  • With our first pg we told family straight away and almost lost him twice. THankfully he was ok, but we kept quiet about our second pg until about 8 weeks then told our parents. We then had an mmc and had to tell them and it was heartbreaking. We found out at the scan. My MIL then blabbed to the rest of the family and we had people ringing us up to say sorry and it made everything worse and felt she'd broken our trust as we'd asked her to keep it a secret. We fell pregnant straight away and told nobody until we'd had the scan and we're doing the same this time. When I told my mam I wanted a third baby she actually laughed at me and told me I was stupid, so def not telling her until I have to! igitigi I've had almost everybody tell me 2 is enough! Who are they to judge? I'm only 28, I'm young & healthy - I can have as many as I want (though we are definitely stopping at 3, lol!) I'm desperate to tell my best friend - she's pregnant at the minute with her second so it would be amazing to tell her but hubs has made me promise to keep quiet.

• We're waiting until at least 12 weeks as I had a mmc in April and excitedly told a few people as it was my second pregnancy I didn't expect anything to go wrong. Ive told my Mum already as I can't ever keep anything a secret from her!x
  • I have told my parents n siblings cos they know me too well and would know i was keeping something from them.

i have 2 daughters aged 10 & 7, who knew something was wrong as i was being sick so i told them the truth, i hate to keep things from them.

i have explained how delicate mummy n baby are so early on.

Maybe i should have waited but it felt right.