Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2013
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Midwife

Hi ladies, I went to my gp today and since I was there I decided to ask about the midwife appointment. The date they've given me is 1st October, I will be just over 9 weeks then (all being well ) I thought it was quite late to have a first appointment, is this a norm? Any of you that have alreday been pg before remember?

Thank you image xx

Replies

• Options

Hi!

I think its normal that they wait until at least 8 weeks before you have your first appointment! I was really excited about my first midwife appointment but to be honest nothing much happens....just  filling forms in if I remember correctly! And they will get you in the system for a date for your 12 week scan which you should get shortly after! xx

• Options

I might ring my GP and see if I can get an appointment! I am starting to doubt my due date!

• Options

Yeah it's normally around 8 weeks. I had my first appt at 8+6 first time round (I still have an app with my appts stored). Haven't phoned the midwife yet this time, it's one of my jobs for Thursday. You have to leave a message and they ring you back, I don't want them ringing me while I'm at work! x

• Options

Thanks ladies, I was told my first appt will be an hour long! But I guess reading what babe33 said, it might be because of the form filling. Hopefully there is enough time from seeing mw to getting an 12 week appt for a scan ( 3 weeks only )

Claire why are you doubting your due date?

Mrs B hope you get your appt ok. So difficult being secretive lol

xx

• Options

May13....from what I remember the scan appointment comes through fairly quickly....they will have you in at 12 weeks- don't worry!

I'm like you MrsB....haven't phoned yet...think if all is still well after the weekend I will make my appointment on monday! x

• Options

Hi May 13 - we had a mc in June and my af was all over the place. I think our due date is the 9th of May, but if my period started on another date, then I might be due in april! Think i should go and get the midwife to help us out!

• Options

Claire, sorry about your mc image But how good is it that you've managed to fall pg soon after. Hopefully this is a nice strong sticky bean for you!

I guess it would be good to solve the riddle of a due date.

Hopefully you stay in our group, although I ma sure dates will change for most of us eventually.

xxx

• Options

Spoken to the midwife today and she's given me an appt 3 weeks today, 4th October at 10am image She also said my due date is 15th May so that's brought it forward a couple of days as I thought it was 17th. Im sure that'll change again at scan tho, last time it changed by 4 days. Really excited, it actually feels a bit more of a reality now! image xx

• Options

Great news MrsB, hope the time flys by image x

• Options

Random question.....I've now got my midwife apt in for october, which is also when I think I am 12 weeks....should I book a scan around that date or does the midwife do that ? Bit confused?

• Options

• Options

My GP surgery has midwife sessions every friday and because I work 30 miles from where I live it is difficult when the only available apt is 1130! I have to wait for a 9am one! Although I did read somewhere if you have had a mc they will try and scan you earlier.

I might ring the EPU, see if I can squeeze myself in!

• Options

• Options

The EPU are lovely, I am going to ring them tomorrow and see if they can squeeze me in!

Has everyone else booked in with midwives and scans?

• Options

Well, phoned this morning and made my appointment....10th October image

• Options

I got a scan with the EPU for friday - they said that was ok because of the MC earlier in the year.

I'll let you know how it goes on.

• Options

Oohhh that is exciting Claire image Good luck on Friday, hopefully all is ok and you find out the right date.

xx

• Options
    Hi there, I went to see my GP yesterday to let him now I'm pregnant (5weeks gone) and he referred me to the midwife. The midwife rang me today to arrange an appointment next week. Very impressed with the service. I'm under the same midwife as I was with last time and she's lovely and sounded genuinely thrilled to hear from us again! xx
  • Options
    I didn't see a dr or midwife until I was 9+5, which was my booking in appointment. It took an hour and a half, they took blood, urine, blood pressure, weight, filled out a million forms, and then found baby's beat with the Doppler!

My scan was booked almost immediately - really pleased with efficient service. I'll be 12+4, really looking forward to it.

• Options
    Yay how exciting for you. I got my scan appt through the post a day after seeing my doctor! I thought it wouldn't have been booked until I saw the midwife. Not complaining though, it isnt til mid November lol feels like ages away x