Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2013

Early Scan

I mentioned under the Flu Jab thread that I was going for an early scan today and I thought I'd let u know how it went: I turned up at the Early Pregnancy Unit a little bit early and had a consultation with a lovely nurse straight away. She asked for my details and when my last period was etc. I was then told to wait for the scan. I was then seen through to the scanning room and the sonographer found our little embryo straight away. The body was already formed although only measuring 11mm! The heart was beating soundly image They thought I'd gone 7weeks + 2 days. They also found a 27mm cyst on my right ovary- which will have been causing the abdominal pains. The sonographer and the nurse explained that while an egg is released from an ovary a crater is created which often fills with fluid and forms a cyst. Such cysts should disperse naturally and it should be gone by my dating scan in 5 weeks time. Cross fingers. So so glad everything is ok. I got quite emotional seeing the little one xx

Replies

• Excellent news image glad it  all went well.

I also had a cyst on my left ovary and I was explained that it was an ovary I ovulated from and those cysts tend to collapse. This was quite early on and by my second scan cyst was already smaller, so I am sure it wil be same for you xx

• Hey Lillykins, congrats! I also had a cyst about 12 months ago, that was 30mm. I was hoping to get an early scan to confirm in had gone but luckily I've been in no more pain, so the nurse at EPU said to wait for my 12 week scan and not to worry as they more often than not go on their own.

It's booked for 21st and I'm so excited! xx
  • Hi Lellykins...

I'm so glad to hear that your scan went well and that your small is growing nicely. And I'm glad the sonographer and nurse weren't worried about the cyst causing any complications. 

I'm having an EP scan at my hospital EPU next Wednesday as I have a high miscarriage rate. But I'm not worrying as I'm feeling more pregnant each day. Can't wait to see my Jelly Bean.

Love, S x

• I am so glad I am not the only one who has a cyst! At our early scan (previous mc) she said that this was a good thing, and by the time we have the next scan it is expected to go because the placenta should have developed by then!

Love to all x