Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

why will he not sleep!

i really need some help girls as im getting to my wits end! Alex just will not sleep, he is awake till gone 12 every night and then is up after an hr if im lucky and atm he just will not go bk to sleep! he only has 1 or 2 30min naps in the day and thats take me over an hr to get him to go to sleep. i just dont understand why he will not sleep ppl keep telling me its my falt cos i have sleeping probs which makes me feel like crap! atm to get him to sleep i ave to let him scream for 20mins then feed him then he will go down. lastnight he was up from 5 till 8.30. he is such a happy baby he just will not sleep, i keep being told to stop BF and put him on the bottle but he will not take a bottle and i dont really want to stop feeding him.
i just really dont know what to do i cant just leave him crying. please help xxx

Replies

• grrr just replied and it disappeared so this will be quick - sorry x

how much sleep soes lo get altogether through out the day?

Are you drinking coffee/coke?

Do you have a day time routine?

Give us some more info and hopefully we can help. Sorry this is abrupt but toby has just woken up!

Also have you spoken to hv as they have sleep clinics that might help.

I cant see why stopping bf will help but if you wanted too i believe the advice is to go straight to beaker for milk. I could never bf so if the milk is there i would do it until you feel ready to stop.

Hugs x x
  • First of all, it is NOT your fault. I have sleep problems, I had insomnia for years and my daughter sleeps like a log!
    I know this sounds awful but you are saying he is a happy baby, maybe he is getting all the sleep he needs, I know this is probably no comfort to you.
    I don't think stopping bf will make a difference and it's not fair for people to suggest this to you.
    it might be an idea to maybe trying controlled crying for a few nights and see if this makes a difference, I wish I had better advice for you xx
  • Isobel is a bit of a hit and miss sleeper but appears to be getting better! Is this down to age or changes in routine - not sure. We're still BF (don't give up its still the best thing for Alex and won't be keeping him awake), and always go to bed on a decent BF. This means trying to make sure dinner is early enough so that she's hungry again. We used to let her nap downstairs but now always make evening naps (and most daytime naps) up in her cot with curtains closed. A routine is good to help her know its bedtime rather than naptime but we time it for when she looks tired which does vary. I try to take her up as soon as she starts eye rubbing. If her teeth are hurting I'll maybe give a calpol dose before the feed to help her. She usually goes to bed around 8pm (give or take an hour), we've found this is better than waiting until later. She may grumble a couple of times but we don't go up until she cries. Then if its less than a couple of hours we'll just reinsert dummy/place her back lying down (she climbs up but is too tired to work out how to lie down again) and leave again quickly and quietly - no lights, no talking, no eye contact. She does still need night time feeds - again in the dark with no talking or eye contact. As soon as you make that contact they think its playtime again. Most people still agree the earlier you put them to bed the more likely they are to sleep longer at this age. Hope some of this helps!
  • well my lo is a bad sleeper and im sure i do sumit wrong as my first was exactly the same but i try everything people advise, he is a healthy big boy and eats and has miulk although gone off it so not much now! he is bottle fed!

up until recently he was awake in evening but last couple months he is in bed by 8ish! he will be up at 5.30am and will only have 40mins nap in morning and 40mins in afternoon - is im in car at 5ish he will nod off but if at home he will be v grumpy but no nap! i am convinced he does need more day sleep as people say they seem fine and happy but it is usually short lived and they turn grumpy after short time but wont sleep or it akes them bad in night from being severly over tired they dont settle into nice deep sleep! doesnt really make sense but i do think its right a bit!

a month or so ago i wa sat wits end baby room downstairs so hubby was staying up or sleep on sofa till 3am everynight so if he started i would get some sleep HV said was stupid should not be feeding in night at all now only sip of water if needed and he should be sleeping thru...HEHEHE YEAH RIGHT! we were told to stop feeding straight away and do controlled crying also told to take dumy away, im sorry but i just couldnt do that neither cud hubby!

so one night when he woke at 11.30pm hubby was like no way do you need feeding so he cried for 2 hours and hubby just kept going in dummy turn over etc and walk out it was awful i was laying upstairs crying cause i just felt crap! but he went off and then slept till morning with no feed! then the next 4 nights he slept from 8pm till around 6-7am it was heaven! BUT THEN he went back to waking, i tried to do what hubby did but it was always middle of night and i was so tired and it seemed soooo load in our little house and then toddler would wake and it was horrendous so basically i dont feed but do get up loads to dummy and then early hours he wakes and i bgive in and bring ijn bed - thing is he doesnt go back off unless mega early!

Soryy for ramble not sure where i was going with that.........................
    wanted to say dont think would be bf but someone said about caffine - you never know! i would say its a bit like mason they scream and go mad till feed so your convinced they need it but now i know he doesnt cause he did have those few nights - its very hard and im rubbish but if you can leave to cry then do but i only do a min or less then go in and leave a bit etc... in middle night i just cant do tho!

in day i have resorted to pushchair or on me then laying on sofa as the crying drives me mad trying to get him off when he only stays asleep 40mins anyway!