Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Nov 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Weight gain tips for bubba on 0.4 centile who won't eat

Weight gain ideas for baby
Hi,

My baby is on the 0.4 centile and is refusing pur????e and finger foods. She is even refusing a biscuit.

Has anyone got any tricks or recipes I could try to get her to eat?

Her meals go like this:
7.30 breakfast either fruit with cream or yoghurt plus weetabix or baby cereal
8.30 bm
11 try to offer cheese or a protein based snack
12/1 lunch
3 bm
5 dinner
6.30 bm
8.30 bm (dream feed moved forward) I know I should drop late feed. Think I'm clinging on to her being a baby.

Thanks mummies

Replies

• Options
    Morning,

Im not really sure what to suggest, its a toughy!!!

Is she teething, unwell etc or anything? this maybe why she off her food at the momement.

Does she eat anything for Lunch & dinner?

Have you tried not giving her a dream feed? No idea if that would help but she may not need it now shes 9-10months old.

I would defo speak to you HV though first & see what she says.

maybe keep trying her with finger foods but leave her to it. I put Jack in his high chair or walker with his food & juice & let him watch cartoons. Sometimes it takes him 10 mins to eat,sometimes he starts straight away & Most of it ends up on the floor!!!!! It can take him 30min -1 hour (sometimes more) to "finish" but he is happy & I just leave him to it, obvioulsy still watching him etc.

hhhmmm Sorry not much help, more thinking out loud.

Stacey
    xxx
  • Options
    Hi

Ty is rubbish with his food, but eats well in nursery which is odd. He prefers finger food but i do try and persevere with purees. I do trick him now and again by giving him a breadstick (which he loves) and put puree in whilst he's eating it. it seems to work. he will eat anything on a breadstick so have been giving him hummous, guacamole, nutella, dairy lea etc.
    He has strange food, last night he had chicken dippers, cheese cubes, breadstick (!) and apple. Most of ends on the floor, but we dont watch him eat and just let him carry on. Its a constant battle, he is also teething pretty bad so if he really wont eat i give him bonjela and wait a while and try again. I have no patience so i have to really try and stay calm when he's refusing food as this makes him refuse it even more.

probably not much help, but i feel your pain.

sarah
  • Options
    Im thinking the same as Stacey on the df. She shouldnt really need it any longer and it may actually encourage her to eat more if she no longer has it. But on the other hand, my friend's son's food intake isnt great (due to almost every allergy possible :cry: ) so she never refuses a bf when he asks for one (he is now 22 months old and still feeding through the night as a result, so it's not an ideal situation for them). You could try to gradually cut down the df over a week or so and see if this makes a difference to her solids intake.

I would also hone in on what she does like to eat and go back to basics again and try to build on her preferences. Like Ty with his breadsticks, Sarah can get other things into him like avocado, hummous etc. Brody loves eating mince so I make up all sorts of different minces (beef, lamb, chicken, veal) and cook in lots of different veg, then also add in avocado, cheese, yoghurt or sour cream. I sometimes feel he is eating the same thing but I know it actually contains different ingredients and I always have some in the freezer for those fussy days!

Hopefully it's just a phase she is going through and it will pass. So keep trying different things and dont get disheartened.
  • Options
    My little one will it anything if it comes off of DADDIES plate. Funny how some elses food always looks better than your own. He has refused his yought in one minute but happlier eaten half of Mummies just a couple of minutes later.

All I can suggest is try eating in front of her and then offering her a mouthful and see how it goes.

When he is teething he goes off of food, apart from soft food like yought and rice pudding.

HJS
  • Options
    Can't comment on DF as Freddie would feed through the night given half a chance!

Can understand how worried you must be, Freddie was going through phases of eating very little but seems to be going ok again now. He's mr independent tho and would much rather feed himself. We gave up on purees, mush and spoons as it's too stressful

Like Tyler he eats brilliantly at nursery but is more picky at home.

Current favourites are:
    cheerios - he likes to eat them one by one. Frustratinlgy time consuming on a work/nursery morning but good practice for his pincer grip I guess!
    potato scones or irish potato farls - just toasted with butter on, he scoffs them down superfast
    cheese omelette
    chips - a rare treat but he loves them
    pasta bows with brocoli and grated cheese
    roasted squash cut into chip shapes

Only things he'll take off a spoon at the moment are jelly and fromage frais

Have to agree with HJS - freddie would much rather what was on my plate than his, so where possible I do one big plate and we share whatever's on it

He eats better with the tv on and often eats better if we're having a meal out

Hope things improve soon for you hun x
  • Options
    cheerios - he likes to eat them one by one. Frustratinlgy time consuming on a work/nursery morning but good practice for his pincer grip I guess!

Oh that made me giggle :lol: Like eating one smartie at a time to savour the taste of each and every one!!