Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Is screaming during feeds normal with Reflux ?

Simple question but need some reassurance as most things I've read say they cry after the feed - but my LO will start screaming after about 2 sucks of the teat........the bizarre thing is that with persistance i can get most of the feed down her but after dummy / waiting etc etc I am just thinking that it may be something else ??
S
XX

Replies

• Options
    That sounds very much like silent reflux, the baby screams and arches their backs but isnt sick very often, if you are at all worried I would take her to the HV or doc just to double check.
  • Options
    Hiya. I replied to your post the other day as my lo has reflux and this is very much how feeds were with her. She would take a few sucks, scream out, come off the bottle, need to sit up. She would calm down and then we would start again. (She didn't arch her back tho, but have read it is common). It used to take about 1hr - 1 1/2 half to feed her. Like what you were saying with persistence we did get most of it down. GP kept going on about how we should feed her in front of HV but she was next to useless. In the end I videoed her ready to brandish at paediatrician, but he was fab and no need.

Meant to ask how you were getting on? If your still not happy go back to GP and see if you can get a referral. Our lo is on gaviscon which took a litle while to work for her. She was also put on ranitidine about 3 weeks ago and at feed time she is like a totally different child. Has bottle in 30mins max, it's very rare we ever have the screaming and crying of before.

Let us no how you go, but don't suffer on if you don't think its right.
  • Options
    Hiya beemonkey - thanks for the support - still no better, just had 11am feed and she has taken some baby rice but can't get more than 1 oz down her of milk so have given up. Do you think I should see doc before Monday ? We probably need Ranitidine but only Hospital can give that i think ?? S XX
  • Options
    Hello again.

I would go with your gut instinct and how well she is generally. The GP told us that if she takes less than half her feed at every feed go to walk in centre or out of hours docs. For us, some feeds were better than others so we could usually get her to take a good ammount at some, like you say with lots of persistence. I think I would be most likely to get down to GP first thing Monday and ask for an urgent referral to paediatrician. We had to wait a little while, but I have read of other people on here being seen very quickly, so in hindsight would probably insist on urgent referral. (GP did say we would be seen in 2 weeks anyway, but was a bit longer). I think you are right and only Paediatrician can prescribe ranitidine in the first instance.

Not sure if any of the other ladies have anymore advice?

Good luck and will try and check back to see how you are going.
  • Options
    Hi beemonkey - well after a violent hiccup session followed by severe screaming I have rung the out of ours doc and am waiting for a call back. do you think I'm over reacting ? S XX
  • Options
    Hiya. Sorry I've only just come back on and seen this. No I definitely don't think you overreacting. So glad you got something sorted. Hopefully You will begin to see some improvement soon. R they going to follow u up?