Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

6 week growth spurt?

Dear All,

I'm after some advice & am hoping that someone may have had experience of this. This afternoon, Edward has gone from being fed 5oz pretty much every 5 hours, to having 2 or 3oz every 2 hours. Is this the growth spurt I have heard about? Has anyone else experienced this? How did you know - what were the signs? I am now bottle feeding him formula only as my milk supply now seems to have disappeared, so am no longer able to express. I was just wondering how you dealt with this and how it altered your routine afterwards. I had just got Edward sorted and he's sleeping through. We didn't do his bath, bottle bed etc as he'd only just fallen asleep by 7pm and was exhausted from feeding all afternoon.

Your views on this would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Deb & Edward (5 weeks & 3 days)

Replies

• He is still young so feeding routine may change, the best thing to do is try and encourage him to take a bit more at feeding time and he will eventually and the gaps between feeding will get longer as he gets bigger and older, it could also be the change from breast milk to formula milk that has changed his routine, I wish I had better advice to give you but keep going, it will get easier.
  • Thank you for your reply! I did try to post a reply, but BE ate it! I think it's me overreacting to him changing his routine. I have noticed he's more hungry, so am giving him slightly more at his main feeds and keeping a little 2/3 oz bottle on hand just in case he feels like something smaller a little later on.

He certainly slept better last night, and is now in 0-3 month clothes whereas it was "new baby" up to last week!

Hope you and your little one are well & thank you again for your help, much appreciated!

Dx