Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09

How often do you see a HV?

Been speaking to hubby's lovely cousin whose baby is similar in age to Jak and she asked me how much he weighs now. I said I didn't know, but that he'd gone up to 7lbs 4oz at 2 weeks, having been 7lbs 1oz at birth, then down to 6lbs 11oz at his first check. He's now nearly 7 weeks, so I have no idea what he weighs. I haven't seen a HV since Jak was 2 weeks old, and hubby's cousin thought it was weird that I didn't go in to the clinic to see her once a week. At her docs surgery they have a dropp-in clinic and she's been taking her baby in once a week to be weighed. I've got to go see the HV tomorrow and I'm now panicking that she'll be cross I haven't brought Jak in!

How often have you ladies seen a HV?

Em x x x

Replies

• Once!!!! She came for a home visit at 3 weeks and said I am to have another one but that there were a lot of births in november and it maybe a while. I havent had any contact of when they are planning on gracing me with their presence!

I do have option of drop in clinic but thats supposed to be after home visits end so I dont know how much Dylan weighs either!

Em and Dylan 4 + 6 x x x
  • Hi

I seen my health visitor when tyler was 2 weeks and then today, she came up to weight him as he hasn't been weighed in 3 weeks. I thought we were supposed to seem them every week. I know there is a baby clinic on a tuesday which I can go to if I have to but thats it. She's abit pants anyway and was here less than 5 mins as its snowing really bad up here and said if i have any problems to ring her. My mum is shocked at how little support there is for mums these days !!

sarah
  • At least it's not just me then...

Hubby's not very happy with our care as they'd arranged an extra appointment for me that was meant to be on 8th December, mainly to check I was ok after the birth and that my episiotomy was healing properly. I've also got a numb patch on my left leg which we think is a trapped nerve, so there was plenty to discuss! The HV phoned that morning to say they couldn't make it and they'd phone to get me a new appt, but they never did. I'd already got 23rd Dec booked for the 6 week check but was snowed in at my in-laws, so that's why the appt is now this Wednesday instead. Hubby was cross enough with the midwife, who discharged me at 10 days, because she said my stitches were healing really well but then didn't seem to want to check this continued to happen. Hubby made the classic mistake of googling it and seeing that an episiotomy can take a very long time to heal, I think he thought that at 10 days that was it until I said it wasn't... I was even checking on here to see how long it would take. Not ideal really!

I don't know, the whole thing's a farse. It was bad enough when I was pregnant and missed out on vital things like being measured and ante-natal classes and the natural onset of birth - it seems midwives and HVs can either be really great or shockingly bad!

Em x x x
  • Fair play Em where abouts do you live? Remind me not to move down there anytime soon as the maternity and new mum care sounds absolutely shocking.
    Up my neck of the woods after the birth I saw the midwives 3 times at home, they checked me out each time. And I've seen the HV at home 3 times, mainly checking Edward but also make sure that I've been ok as my labour was so traumatic. My HV gave me a number I can ring anytime if I feel wobbly and they'll come out and see me at home. Other than that I can take Edward to clinic each week to be weighed and ask the HV any questions. Even the midwives at the hospital I went to were great.
    Don't mean to gloat but they've been great up here - fancy moving?

Laura & Edward
    xxx
  • I've had about 6 home visits from the midwife, then 2 home visits from the HV. I could have had more if I wanted. Lily was also weighed at her 6 week check. The clinic is twice a week, and I'll probably go once a fortnight/3 weeks from now on. I'm a fairly confident 3rd time Mum, so I'm surprised at the level of support I had. I'm sure some of you other Mums must have needed a lot more support than you have been offered.
  • My HV finally showed up 16 days late when Brody was 25 days old. That was 2 weeks ago and not seen her since. Perhaps that's it then by reading some of your posts!! I also had the old "so many births in November"... malarky. She did arrange a breastfeeding support person to visit me last week which was ok but Brody was on his best behaviour when she was here so Im still having the occasional problems with his feeding which happens later in the day or evening. :roll:

I did go to the drop-in Baby Clinic at my gp (b/c I'd seen a gp 2 weeks ago when I was a mess and she told me about it and to go the next day). I like the clinic as the HV there is really lovely (not my designated HV as I live in on a border and fall into another borough). She has helped me lots and phoned me and I plan to go weekly as long as I need to to have Brody weighed until Im happy with his weight gain.

Im surprised your mw discharged you after 10 days Em after having an episiotomy! Also, did she discharge you before Jak had returned to or exceeded his birth weight? My HV at my GP had mentioned to me that your mw should not discharge you until they have!

xx
  • Sim: Jak wasn't weighed by the midwife when she discharged me, he'd been weighed at 7 days by a different midwife and he'd gone down, then he was weighed again by the HV at two weeks, so yes, the midwife discharged me before he'd gone over his birth weight again. By the way, it was the wonderful E who threw a giant spanner in the works before birth who discharged me.

Laura, if I ever want to have another baby I am seriously worried about being in Milton Keynes to do so. I know so many people who've had so many problems, one lady phoned to say her baby had a temp and a rash and was told to "stop being an over-protective mother" and to give him calpol. Nice! Plus, our hospital was in the news recently regarding two babies' deaths that could have been prevented at MK General. Not great, really.

I wouldn't mind, but I went through my notes before the MV discharged me and took them away. Things have been ticked to indicate that they'd been discussed with me that I haven't been asked. I've been asked once whether I've been teary, and I said yes, and they said it'd pass. It seems they're more interested in getting rid of you so they can make way for more people.

Grr!
  • Iv seen mine once at day 11.. She was ment to come over a few weeks ago but called to say her car had broke down but never made another appt! We used to have a drop in years ago but the service was stopped as mums were using it as a 'meeting place'!! (WTF is that not a good thing for mums) x
  • I had 5 visits from the midwives (who were fab) and then one home visit from the HV at day 13. She then told me to go to the drop in clinic on a Monday to get Sophie weighed, which I have done every Monday apart from this one.

Tbh apart from the home visit, no other questions have been asked at the clinic apart from Sophie getting weighed and them saying she is fine. I did mention a rash/spots Sophie had and they said it was a viral rash, but when they didn't go away I took Sophie to GP who said it was exzema. Gave her some cream and the spots are nearly gone now.

So up until HV took over, our care was fab. Think HV is changing as of next Monday so we'll see what this one is like!

Nici and Sophie 6 weeks and 1 day xxx
  • I think am i lucky having read these.
    I was visited at least 10 times by mw and twice by hv. I have attended a drop in clinic twice since to have Aimee weighed with hv and i attend a new mums group run by my midwives, which is lovely as i get to maintain contact with them for longer.

I guess it depends on the area....and i am blessed to have been in my area.

MJx
  • I think it's shocking how much it varies, having read the different experiences people have had.

Well, Jak is now 9lbs 12oz, bless him! That puts him in the 50th centile so he's right where he should be. The lovely HV (who appears to be the most competent person we've since since the day I went into the surgery to say I was pregnant) showed me some really good baby massage techniques to help him with his colic. which she says it sounds like he's had a bought of recently. She also asked me how I'm doing, and is coming over to do a home visit next Tuesday just to see me. Hubby's glad, he thinks she's great, so it's nice to see his faith restored in the system. It's a shame people as fab as her are few and far between here...

Em x x x