Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Weaning help (long, sorry!)

A little help please, girls... sorry it's so long I have a bunch of stuff rattling round my noggin!

First of all, Jak is still EBF and he's 5 months/22.5 weeks. He's slept through since he was about 7 weeks. We went away to visit relatives over the last couple of weeks and from the day we arrived he wouldn't sleep through, he woke because he was hungry (well, we thought he was, it was the only thing that stopped him crying) and he got to the point where he was waking for a feed every 4 hours. We arrived home and have now had 3 nights with Jak back in his own cot. The first night he slept right through again like normal. The last 2 nights he's woken at around 2am hungry. (I'm not rubbing it in that my baby sleeps through btw, it's just waking up isn't like him so I'm worried)

Before all this he would feed from one side every 3 hours in the day at 7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm and 7pm (roughly). Now he's fussing a lot at my boob after about 5 minutes and needing the other side too, so he's having both boobies every 3 hours in the day, plus both at 2am. Last night he even had both sides at 6:30pm and again at 7:30pm and he still woke at 2am.

We think it might be time to introduce baby rice. I was really, really hoping to get to 6 months because I've got very severe asthma that, in the past, has left me on steroids for long periods of time with really nasty side effects and many hospitalisations. I've had it from birth, and I wasn't breastfed. I have this teeny voice telling me that I should stick to the advice and wait until he's 6 months, after all, I can put up with a night waking if it's going to benefit him in the long run. Obviously I know it's not a sure thing that he won't have asthma, I just know that if I go to 6 months and he still gets it, I won't beat myself up for not doing everything I should've done for him. On the other hand, I am really worried I'm depriving him of food.

I'm scared my milk production was affected when we were away and that's what's triggered all this. I love hubby's family, but they eat at 'holiday' times (breakfast isn't till about 12pm!) and we went on lots of long walks. I found it rather difficult to eat as and when I needed, it's not as simple as grabbing stuff out of someone else's fridge! I tried to stay as hydrated as I could to compensate, but it's difficult when you're in the middle of a National Trust park and the loos are a mile away. Could that be why he's waking in the night?

Finally, my parents went on holiday over Easter and only just got back, so haven't seen Jak for 2 weeks. The first thing they did on seeing him yesterday was ask me whether he's 'eating any food' yet, and then mum proceeded to tell me about all the baby food she's seen, how 'it says from 4 months on it' and 'Jak's 5 months now so he should be having it' and spouting loads of crap at me about how I ought to be doing such and such, blah blah blah. My dad's taking the 'you're depriving him' route and says I'm being cruel. Nevertheless I'm still a little teary about it today, I wouldn't be so mad with them but they're supposed to be supporting me, not bullying me. Trouble is, that automatically makes me want to stick to my guns and wait until 6 months, but I'm vary aware that I might be doing that purely as a reaction to them, and need you guys to tell me whether that's just silly. I want to do what's best for Jak, and I can put up with my parents telling me they told me so if he does need weaning now!

So, questions:

Am I being daft?
Will the addition of baby rice stop my breastmilk giving him some immunities?
How did you know your baby was ready to be weaned?

I'm sorry this is so long, the whole thing's really upsetting me because I'm so petrified of making the wrong decision and I haven't had much sleep as a result! If you made it this far, thank you so so much for taking an hour out of your day to read my daft weaning troubles! ;\)

Em x x x

Replies

• Ah honey, how upsetting for you. I think this whole process is really hard and you get such an ear bashing from both sides that you never know what to do for the best. I think the only helpful thing that has been said to me, is that you need to get your head around not knowing. I know that might not really be classed as helpful, but its stopped me head banging trying to find an answer.

So, to your questions....

No you are not being daft. Never! as i said its hugely difficult process.
    Adding baby rice won't stop the immunitys getting to him, but i think the point is that babies have an open gut uuntil 4m, and it closes between 4-6m. Yuckies (technical term!!) can get straight into the blood stream through this which is why they say to wait til 6m. I dont know much about the asthma side of things, but I doubt baby rice would a) fill him and b) stop him waking. Jen is on two meals a day from yesterday and still waking 2,3,4 times a night and feeds at least twice from both boobs in the night.

We started to wean her when she was really reaching for our food, looking at what we did with it, making chewing motions, looking for somethign else after milk, feeding more often, knowing what to do with a spoon, etc...We also tried a little milky rice at 4.5m and she didnt like it. Waited til 5m and tried again, and she took it well, so we gradually increased from there.

The way I am making sence of Jen's difficult sleeping is that she is quite a sensitive girl. She notices stress (we're moving) and change. Her teeth are aching her and she knows that being weaned means that mummy is less close to her in a way. Its a hard time for babies, they are heading out into the world and its an exciting and scary place.

Hang on in there, tell the inlaws/parents to shove off (or just smile politely and nod, then do your own thing), and scream at them 'IM THE MUMMY' over and over til they leave or call the nice men in white coats.

Em xx
  • em101 says it all but i just wanted to add that the reason there are jars and packets that say from 4 months is because - when i nthe 1970s it was advised to m=wean at 4 months instead of 3 they introduced a law that said companies could only advertise from 4 months and not 3. So now the recommendation is 6 months - the law was never changed so thats why they can advertise.

As soon as i can i am starting toby on baby led weaning as i do feel that i force feed him sometimes - unfortuneatly it is for my own gain in the hope he will sleep better (i dont admit that too often).

Families are a liability - my mummy guilts is purely becasue of what family say to me so i try to listen with my thrid ear!

Have you posted this in baby and breastfeeding and weaning forum becasue there might be mroe advice on offer

I know that doesnt help at all - sorry - hopefully someone else will be better equipped to answer than me.

Hope your cold is getting better x x x
  • It is a bit, though I can feel my throat starting to feel a bit tender so I think it's developing into a sore throat, boo hiss!

He's so up and down with his feeding today, we've bought baby rice but I'm not going to try it if he's all worked up and unhappy. He seems tired and wants to gum everything to death, and had a bit of nappy rash earlier, so perhaps it's teething - just to complicate things!!!! I have no idea anymore... arg, must go he's shouting in his cot! x
  • Ah! That's better....

We think he's got a stinking cold and a few teething issues. We've had a day of loads of crying and being very tired but not sleeping, coupled with more snotty, runny stuff than ever before. I thought he'd shaken his cold, but I don't think he has, bless him. I'm not sure it's the best time to start him on eating something different, but we'll see how he goes.
  • Emily,

Lets just put this in perspective- Only 1-3% of mums in the UK breastfeed up to six months- You have done an AMAZING job and you should REALLY proud of yourself!

I agree with Ems that I doubt baby rice will actually stop the night waking if Jak is actually hungry- its most likely to be a phase/growth spurt that he will go back to no night wakings when he is ready. If feeding is what comforts him then I can understand why you would do it.

Please dont listen to well meaning relatives about the introduction of solids. When you feel ready then a bit of baby rice with your milk wont affect his immunities but itll also be unlikely to actually stem hunger. Therefore its just up to you whether you want to wait another month. Ive just started introducing some tastes with Amber in the past week and a half (shes 5.5 months) and her milk feeding pattern has remained the same.

Here is what I believe to be true regarding BF:

-Your supply could have been affected when away- from either or both a change to your diet and the change in routine
    -Your milk supply will ALWAYS adjust to meet Jak's needs- He wont go hungry and will be getting all the nutrition he needs whatever his weight. Its a myth that bigger babies who are BF need to move onto solids earlier. You may need to be prepared to feed him more often if he wants it (and that may be at night) but babies are capable of upping the supply of milk when the need it.
    If he has a cold then the best thing for him is your milk

Trust your gut. You have done BRILLIANT to get this far and I totally understand the senitment of feeling that you dont want to cave right before 6 months if that was what you wanted to achieve. I have the same feeling with planning to BF until Amber is one so she can then have cows milk rather than formula. It may be irrational but I feel i will really beat myself up if I dont achieve what I set out to.

Hope he is feeling better- you do what YOU think is best but rest assured that as long as you are prepared to feed him when he wants it then your milk alone is the best thing for him.

Sarah xx
  • Thanks Sarah, that does really put things into perspective. I too don't really want to put Jak on formula, and I'd be very disappointed with myself if I couldn't do that. I'm glad the baby rice won't do what my folks say and 'fill him up', it seems a bit pointless until he's really ready, and there are a couple of signs he's not giving me yet. Plus hubby's a bit wary of starting without telling the hv first, but only because it says on the baby rice box that you're supposed to consult your doc or hv - freaked him out a bit, bless him! I think it's ok to just go with instinct though, isn't it? Oh lord, it's all too confusing! :lol:

I think the thing that gets to me most about my parents, and especially my mum, saying I'm being cruel is that she really desperately wanted to bf both me and my sister, but didn't because her mother told her it 'wasn't the done thing' and she only really stood up and did what she wanted when she had my brother. She bf him up until he was 6 months, then carried on and stopped just after he was one, so he went from that to cows' milk. She knows what it feels like to be told what to do regarding you own baby, so why's she doing it to me? At least MIL is great for advice, I'm v lucky to have her, I know lots of people don't have supportive in laws but I can definitely rely on them, so a phone call will be put in to them in the week for a bit of advice! x x x
  • I was going to reply before but the phone rang and I forgot I'm still feeding Rebecca exclusively and she does wake more than she used to (and unpredictably, some days she will sleep through some days she wakes once and sometimes twice) and when she wakes most if I think back she has often fed badly on the previous day (I often can't remember what happened 10 mins ago so it took a while to work out). Some of her bad fussy feeding lately has been due to a cold but she feeds worst when she is distracted as she is so nosey!!!
  • Just remember Emily how brilliant a job you are doing, Jak is a happy baby and when he is ready for weaning he will let you know and nobody else can do that for him. In regards to your mum dont worry, my mum thankfully is the supportive one but my mil questions everything I do with Olivia and tells me things that I know are not right for Olivia and yet fil told us that his mother used to do the same to her and she hated it, I think sometimes that they just cant help themselves xxxx
    Youre a great mum remember that xxxx
  • Thanks girls image Where would I be without you lot? Probably the loony bin, actually! x x x