Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

bf night wakings?

of those who still bf- are your lo still feeding at night?

amber has 1-2 short feeds between 7pm-7am. i am totally happy doing this for now just feel like a little reassurance.......

xx

Replies

• Jak has been doing over the last 10 days, but it wasn't his normal routine to wake up. We thought he wasn't full enough to get a good night's sleep, but we were away from home and sure enough one night back in his own cot and he's back to 7pm-7am again. I think if your lo is still in their normal routine, then that's fine! We were ever so worried because it wasn't his normal routine, that and he was having around 8 feeds a day instead of 5, so that was another indicator that things weren't right. Some babies just do wake for night feeds, I think it's completely normal hun, as long as nothing's changed dramatically I'd say everything was fine! Check with your hv if you're not sure, might help to have a second opinion! x x x
  • We were down to 1 feed a night, it was wonderful, but in the last week and a bit, since Jen's had a cold, its been awful. Waking every hour or so and wanting to feed loads. Shes also really hard to put down. I put her down 8 times between 7pm and 10pm the other night, and then stoped counting!!!

Growth spurt? Weaning anxiety? Cold disruption?

The bags under my eyes are bigger than my next sale shopping bags!!

Em x
  • Well I think that all of us have 'normal' babies.
    None is reamarkable EmilyB- So well done Jak!

Once, twice I think is totally acceptable for BF baby in 12 hour night before they are fully on solids.

Em, Amber settles well but has had a phase of stirring after 45-1 hour and while most of the times she settles herself there are a couple of times where her crying has escalated and Ive just fed her. It may be that in these times she is hungry because she has not had enough to feel completely settled or perhaps not, but either way 10 minutes on the boob has settled her for the next 5-6 hours so it cant be that bad!I guess my point is that they are going to have these phases!

Im in two minds because altough I am tired too there are going to be these phases, growth spurt, anxieties, sickness and although I dont want to establish bad habits we will find difficult to break BF is more than just nutrition- its like a big hug and kiss all combined and like I say if 5-10 minutes settles her then it kinda feels counter-intutitve to fight against it.

I wont feel confifent not feeding her until she is fully established on solids. Then I will night wean before cutting out any other day feeds.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

PS my sister was still feeding her LO in the night up to 16 months- I swore I was NOT going to be in that situation and criticised this to my Mum, but now I have my own I feel bad that I was so harsh because she has done a fantastic job and has two happy happy well adjusted children who are very independent and secure. I guess western society instructs us to believe that our children have sleep 'problems' if they want their mum between 7-7!!

• She doesnt always wake to feed, although we are doing more feeds than we were. /going to start giving food in the later afternoon as well as the morning. See if that makes a differnce. We're starting to tear our hair out!

xx
  • Ha I don't know, Several times a night at the mo. but only way we can cope. I'm hopeless at getting my babies to sleep x