Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09

A question about boobies!

Replies

• Hi

I am also stopping breastfeeding, my baby never learned how to latch on and i have been expressing for almost 3 weeks but with a 2 year old to look after im finding it too much. I havent expressed today but so far i havent engorged. I know how painful it can be but there isnt much you can do other than painkillers and cabbage and wait for it to dry up, i cant remember how long it takes but think its a couple of days..i may be wrong!

I use SMA milk and have never tried the Hipp milk, so dnt have any advice on that!

Thanks

Fiona and Isabella 20 days xxx
  • I know exactly how you feel - i tried to BF for a week with my son but opposite to you no milk came in and i too felt awful and liek i had let him down. Sam is now nearly 10 months old and has been so happy and contented on the bottle. I used aptimal and this is supposed to be the next best thing to BF.

Think you just have to wait for yuor milk to dry up - def don't express!! Bath baths can help with pain.

Good luck and mostof all enjoy every moment!

Jo and Sam x x
  • Thanks everyone for the advice! Finn is gobbling up his Aptimal so that makes things easier!

Thank you image
  • Oh I feel your pain, I had this for about 3 days and the midwife told me to put white cabbage leaves into my bra and change them every few hours, not particularly nice but you wouldnt believe how soothing it is!!! Also avoid showers but hot baths and hold hot face cloths over your boobs and gently squeeze, it does mean you may leak for a couple of days but it really helps with the pain and the heat, I took breast fever with it and it was awful.
  • Hi, I think I'm about the only one who has bottle fed from day one!!

My milk came in on Saturday (Sophie born last Tuesday) and I felt like I was completely winded all weekend. I haven't taken my bra off since then, well apart from to change it when i've had a bath, and it is doing my head in. I only had one day of leakage but the breast pads have taken care of that. My boobs have started to get a bit softer now but the midwife said today it will be another couple of days.

Sophie is happy with her Cow and Gate, although she was really windy for a day or two we have changed to size 2 teats and she is fine now, taking 3/4oz every 3 1/2-4 hours.

Hope this helps Gem

Nici and Sophie 8 days old xxx
  • I'm using the Avent bottles and touch wood had no problems with them.

Had a blissfull bath with no bra on this morning but milk was still leaking so back on it went. Guess I'll try again tomorrow.

I was expecting a right lecture in the hospital about not breastfeeding, but no-one said a thing, apart from the old hag midwife who was on overnight just said "you didnt fancy breastfeeding?", to which I said no and she kind of turned her nose up at me!! My own midwives have been fantastic about it and supported me all the way.

I really admire everyone who can, maybe next time (if there is one) i'll be brave enough to try but for now as long as Sophie is happy on her bottle then I am too!

xxx