Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09

Crying/Screaming at meal times (lunch) HELP!!!!

Ok now we have went from blowing raspberries to screaming the house down what ever I try to give him lunch. for breakfast hes great but lunch time is a nightmare. I (try to) give him 1/2 jar or stage 2 or 3 Cow & Gate followed by a yoghurt then maybe a wee biscuit or a couple of choc buttons & Juice. but the last couple of days he just cries when I give him the 1/2 Jar, he would take his yoghurt fine but im not giving him it if he doesnt eat his dinner first. Ive tried 3 different Jars so far today but now hes eating a Jam sandwich. His dinner I try BLW with a jam sandwich, crisps, rusk or anything I can find & he takes that well. I really need to give him more viriety for BLW but im useless at thinking of things to give him!!!!!

No idea what to do for lunch, maybe try BLW then as well followed by a yoghurt? Any ideas ladies

Stacey
xxxx

Replies

• Maybe he is confused if he is BLW at dinner but not lunch and is screaming cos he wants to do it himself? A few of us have had spoon rejection. I use a spoon for some things and I just load them up and leave them on his tray and he grabs them and feeds himself. I actually find lunch easier with the BLW cos Im usually at home and can grab lots of different things on the go. Such as:

- hommus and pita bread / bread / wrap
    - peppers or celery - dipped in hommus or avocado
    - watermelon
    - cherry tomato halves
    - dolomades (vine leaves)
    - 2 min noodles (without the seasoning, too salty) - it's a great texture for them to try!
    - filled pasta
    - rice cake (again with hommus or avocado spread on them, or even cottage cheese)
    - I make mini pizzas using wraps (few mins in the oven with whatever topping (chicken, mushrooms, spinach, peppers etc) + cheese) - this is a firm fave and still healthy - he just picks it apart and eats the topping/wrap
    - I also make up a quiche once a week (no base/crust) and he devours this. Just cut up into little pieces.

Im sure it's just a phase that will pass though as we've certainly been through it and a few of us seem to have! Naughty lo's! image But I appreciate it can drive you nuts!!
  • Thanks Sim, I think you might be right. Ill let him BLW from now on. Breakfast time is fine so Ill keep at it with Lunch & dinner.

Another food shop is in order i think image

xxxx
  • Freddie's fallen out with spoons this week! As with everything else I'm blaming teeth ...We give him lots of finger foods anyway but have had to increase it this week to get him to eat.
    His current favourites are toast with dairylea, Organix carrot stick crisp type things and breadsticks.
    Tonight he's had salmon, new potatoes, carrots and broccoli which he mainly fed himself altho when frustration builds he will let me put it in his mouth (with my fingers not a spoon!) For pud he had custard hmmm happily lets me feed him that and he ate apricots and a biscuit with it..

As a rule he won't open his mouth for anything unless he has something he can feed himself in his hand - breadsticks have been fab for that

Hoping as Sim says it's just a phase!

xx
  • Welshka, Freddie's doing great as well.

I suppose its a good phase they are going through as they are learning to feed themselves more. Just wish it wasnt so messy. I dont mind the mess on the floor as we have laminate so very easy to clean but its his clothes when they get stained with food. Ive tried a few things in the was to get them out but in particular its the orange colours that are the worst, especially on his bibs but also on a few of his white or light coloured tops. Any ideas how to get stains out????

Im nipping out to the wee shop before Chris heads off to work, see what I can get for today & the rest of the week, then we can do a good asda/tesco shop.

xxxx
  • Its def a phase, we had this problem for weeks with Olivia, everytime I put her into the high chair she would scream and hit the spoon out of my hands.
    Now we get her into the high chair and she is happy until she sees the food, so I settle her as much as I can, hold her hands down and get a spoonful into her mouth and as soon as she tastes the food she settles and eats happily then!
  • Hey Stacey,

Don't panic I know exactly how u are feeling. If you remember my post a few weeks back I was having the same battles. Its getting better I promise image I worked out that Zach was actually screaming about the difference between what we were having and what he had on his tray. I know it sounds daft and some people have told me im stupid and that he can't possibly know the difference but he does. He actually watches and waits to see me and hubby eat before he will touch anything and actually pulls himself up in his highchair to see what we have is the same.
    After I posted on here I started experimenting and basically the following morning I poured myself a bowl of cereal and then literally spooned a couple of spoons onto his tray and started eating. Its very very messy as I've had to remove the spoon all together and it had become such an issue for him. So for a few weeks he ate with his hands. One woman even stopped us when we went and had a carvery and asked if my son is a caveman!!! I could have cried but then hubby reminded me he is only 9 months and is now eating like a trooper.
    That morning I gave him cereal from my bowl was the breakthrough. He watched it coming from the bowl i was eating from so was satisfied he had the same and because I just left him too it he just got on with it.
    For lunch I give him sausage rolls/ cocktail sausages/ strips of chicken/ ham etc etc he has some organix crisps or crackers/ grapes/ blueberries/ strawberries/ peaches etc sometimes I cook up green beans/ carrots etc and he will also munch on them. He loves sweetcorn and raisins as well. Just a few ideas.
    For dinner he literally has what we have and I mean exactly what we have. Yesterday I made a very very weak chilli and he ate it with gusto. Tonight Spag bol. All I do is cut it up a little so that he can grab it. I do have to think ahead so we have changed our eating habits slightly but it will prob do us some good also!!!! Mash potato is a massive hit in the evening.
    I've now introduced the spoon again this week and all the upset seems to have been forgotten. Like Sim I just load the spoon and hand it too him and he does the rest. Its still messy as he still eats with the other hand at the same time but we are winning.
    I find lots of snacks during the day and reinforcing the eating process as well. I have been giving him the organix animal biscuits or frubes. He allows me to squeeze a frube into his mouth but won't have it off a spoon.
    Keep at it. I think we must have very independent babies image

good luck

x

• Ladies you are all godsends. After hearing you've all been through it one way or another has giving me so much hope & Ive actually relaxed. He had finger food for lunch. It took over an hour but we didnt have 1 tear, moan or scream. I am very pleased. Obvioulsy its still early days but I am hopefull. I tried him with 1/2 a jar for tea & he took it no bother so Ill chop & change when to give him that & finger foods as well.

Rosapenny, we havent (fingers crossed) got to the stage that hes screaming going into his high chair, he seems to get excited about it. BUT sometimes I feed him in another chair & thats what hes been crying in while im trying to feed him. Im going to keep him in his high chair for his lunch & dinner as breakfast has been no bother.

Mini moo I will defo try loading his spoon for him, he is always trying to grab it off me. Obviously thats him showing me he wants to try it himself.

Its horrible to think we are all going through things on our own but pop a post on here & you realise that your not alone & every mum (& dad) is going through the exact same thing, some quicker than others but then thats where the good advice & reassurance comes from.

Thanks again girls, I couldnt do it without you all

xxxxx
  • So for a few weeks he ate with his hands. One woman even stopped us when we went and had a carvery and asked if my son is a caveman!!!

Stupid cow. How dare she? :evil: It's all about exploration!!

Stacey, yep it does get real messy. When we are at home (most meal times) I now let Brody go to town with it. I roll his sleeves right up and also Ive changed to use the plastic smock-type bibs. Firstly, cos he cant rip those ones off (!!) but also cos they protect his clothing better so less effort with the washing and stain removal. Those bibs tend to be bigger so cover them more.

I agree with Minimoo too. I sit down and eat with Brody and a lot of the time (breakfast and lunch) he has a variation of what Im eating and watches what I eat. He laughs now when he sees me eating the same thing. The other day we had chicken lasagne and I put his in a bowl and cut it up to smaller pieces with his spoon. he took 3 spoonfuls then refused the rest. So I gave him what I had on my plate and cut them into handheld sized pieces and he devoured it all! Guess who had to end up eating the stuff in his bowl??!! :roll:

• Mummabear/ Sim you had me scratching my head then thinking do we have a new november mummy image

I had a chuckle reading your last post on here. Had someone told me all of this 10 months ago I would have laughed but its sooo true. I've lost count how many times I've ended up eating what is in his bowl so that he can have the food on my plate, even though its the same Lol
    We also use one of those smock type bibs but Z has now worked how to get it undone so I guess its only a matter of time before he works out how to get it off totally. I need to get shares in vanish!! image

xxx
  • ha ha ... im my own twin!
    Please dont tell me they can learn to escape from the smock bibs!! :x .. the power of distration..
  • Eadie has been blowing raspberries at meal times resulting in any pureed or mash food ending up on mummys top! I have tried to give her finger foods to avaoid this which has worked and have had to make up a new noise of yum yum which she now tries to copy resulting in the food staying in the mouth!! Not sure why they want to do it at mealtimes, she doesnt do it at any other time!

P.s she can almost get out of the smock bib too! Yanks it and yanks it until its nearly off! xxx