Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

anyones baby not sleeping upstairs ??

Hi ladies

Tyler sleeps downstairs with one of us whilst the other has a full nights sleep upstairs and we take it in turns (have 2 bed house so no spare room), just wondering if anyone else has any 'alternative' arrangements ? This means that he is always down here with us, so doesn't technically 'go to bed', the up side is he will sleep through anything including OH disk-cutting the front wall of the house. But I am very aware of the need for him to get used to sleeping in a dark quiet room for when he's in by himself.

sarah

Replies

• Options
    We really struggled with Poppy to start with and we had to have the light on in the bedroom to help her sleep plus warm her blanket and sheet up. She is now 7 weeks and able to sleep upstairs with the light off (yippee!!) but when we first put her to bed it has to be warm so we are still warming up he blankets etc on the radiator! Lots of people have said don;t let her sleep on us and to put her in her moses basket instead but i love it when she sleeps on me.
    Lilykitt - i am sure that Tyler will get used to a dark room in time, maybe try a little soft light and then a night light.

Rachy xx

[Modified by: Rachy123 on December 26, 2009 07:59 PM]

• Options
    We only have a 2 bed flat, one level. Due to a risk of damp in the spare room which we were to use as the nursery we don't want to put Brody in there now. So we have him in our room in his moses basket still. We ordered a new cot today so in a weeks time that will be in our room too where he will stay until we either move back to oz or sell up and move house.

We do have a night light on all the time in our room. Its only very faint and when he grizzles (usually dirty nappy) its not enough light to see whats going on so we have to turn on the lamp. But generally, once he has settled at night, he will sleep in his basket until due his next feed or the following morning.

I found that he was able to settle a lot better when he had had enough feed, previously I wasnt feeding him enough so he would become unsettled after just putting him down. So now, especially at night, I give him his biggest feed of the day to ensure he has enough in his tummy to settle himself and fall asleep. Seems to be working.