Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09

what do we do that we shouldn't

Hi ladies

Just wondering if i'm the only one who does things the books say I shouldn't such as:

Rocking him to sleep
hummming him to sleep
feeding to sleep (hmmmm see a pattern emerging ???)
swaddling (two swaddle blankets as he keeps escaping !)

I know i'm a bad mummy and have made a rod for my own back, but the way i see it, he's a boy and there is only a limited number of cwtches i'm going to get off him !!!

Sarah

Replies

• I dont do any of them at night, sometimes I will sit and hold her hand to comfort her, although tonight she did fall asleep with the bottle, during the day if she wont nap I do hum or sing her to sleep but I dont care :lol:
    I have used a bit of cc during the day now and it seems to be working with her. I dont really think anybody does things by the book though so really we are probably all bad mummies :lol:
  • the only one i do at night is the swaddling the others are 'tools of my trade' to get him to nap if he's overtired but am guilty of using them all if necessary....
  • oh I think it sometimes gets to a point where you would be willing to try anything, sometimes I wish that they made baby vallium :lol:
  • Oh I'm guilty of all of them at one time or another!
    I'm with you Rosapenny - if it didn't do them any harm I'd definitely like a magic sleep cure so babies could drop off with ease whenever they needed to!
    I'm guilty of plonking Jak in front of Charlie and Lola or ITNG or Waybuloo, anything, just so I can have a wee, put the kettle on and make myself some toast for breakfast. I don't like him to be 'alone' so at least the TV talks to him - how awful is that? I swear it's not for long, and I sit and watch the rest of the programme with him when I've finished. It's a bit like letting the lady on the audiobook gently lull him to sleep at naptime, isn't it?! x x x
  • Oh I'm guilty of all of them at one time or another!
    I'm with you Rosapenny - if it didn't do them any harm I'd definitely like a magic sleep cure so babies could drop off with ease whenever they needed to!
    I'm guilty of plonking Jak in front of Charlie and Lola or ITNG or Waybuloo, anything, just so I can have a wee, put the kettle on and make myself some toast for breakfast. I don't like him to be 'alone' so at least the TV talks to him - how awful is that? I swear it's not for long, and I sit and watch the rest of the programme with him when I've finished. It's a bit like letting the lady on the audiobook gently lull him to sleep at naptime, isn't it?! x x x
  • i dont need anything at night as toby goes down wihout even a dummy! But use all of them except swaddling for naps - this week for the first time he is going down for 2 hour long naps a day i dont know why - i havent done anything thifferent - he just has.

Lillykit - do what works for you - its nothing that will harm your gorgeous little man - the rod you can sort out later x
    ps hows the nightimes going x
  • Hiya

every night is different for us, when OH is on nights Tyler seems to be more unsettled, last night he woke at 10, 1 and 5 and about the same the night before. Not sure why hubs not being here makes a difference but it does. He's off now until 17th May but he's going to spain next week so i expect he'll be a nightmare again. I get around 7 hours sleep, its just broken up which i think is worse.

Sarah
  • Firstly just want to say, sod the books. They are only babies for such a short period of time and you do whatever works for you. You are creating a whole new personality so much of what you do will allow your child to be an individual. There are no rights and wrongs and every baby is different.

ok rant over, We are lucky that oliver sleeps 13 hours a night and wants to go to bed at 5.30pm, I simply place him in his cot after his story and he amuses himself before falling asleep. However nap times are a whole different ball game. Oliver will have 2 x 30 min naps MAX a day. He only has these by going out in the pram for a walk. This works for us as we have the dog to walk and both naps coinside with walkies. It was a nightmare when we had all that snow and i was literally pacing the house with the pram!

Please dont ever think your a bad mother, you can't be because you care. every parent is different and so is every babies needs.
    xcx
  • Guilty of most things you've mentioned - definitely feeding to sleep. Not during the day but especially last feed and through the night Freddie goes to sleep 'on the boob'! His daytime naps are non existent unless he sleeps in the pram, car or on me. Just when we seem to be getting somewhere with his cot we go away for a weekend to visit family and then it's back to square one!
    He's also still in our room .... his nursery is on the floor below us (we're in the loft) and while he's still waking in the night I don't want to be running up and downstairs - lazy mummy!! And yes also guilty of bringing him to bed for cuddles if we wakes early and it's not getting up time .....
    Em - I'm definitely guilty of putting INTG on for Freddie if I have to leave the room for a few minutes, even if he's happily playing I put it on so he's got some company (but then again I also leave the radio on for the cats if we're going out for a while!!)

Maybe we should just re-write the rule books with whatever makes our babies happy?!

xx
  • GUILTY, GUILTY, GUILTY !!! But I dont care I have to survive!!!

Really worried about when I go back to work and how she'll cope in a nursery 3 days a week, how will she sleep in a noisy nursery when she needs dark, quiet and Mummy!!

I know Im going to have to get her more independent soon but she's had so many troubles we're only just coming through the dark clouds and into the light x

Inka xxx