Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

sleeping

hi everyone!

i am feeling a bit deflated as my lo is now 4 months one of the youngest but is not anywhere near sleeping thru night!

i make up 7oz bottles and he sometimes drains others may take 6oz he has these about 8am, 11.30/12ish, 3.30/4ish, 7.30pm and the dream feed about 11pm

he then wakes in the night between 4.15 and 5am usually more the 4.15am - i try just putting dummy in and some nights he seems to settle back so i go loo etc and by time im done and had some water he is awake so i try again and hover and he wakes so as im tired and toddler gets up about 6.6/30am i just wana get back to bed - so i feed but then he is hard to settle looks wide awake, finially goes off but by then toddler up!

a friedn of mine has baby few dys older and she feeds at 8 then just waits for baby to wake and he doesnt wake till 5.30am so she feeds then he goes another few hours.................perhaps i should try this but i think he will wake abouyt 1ish then again at 5ish and then will be hard to get off so i will end up doing 2 night feeds.............

what does everyone else do?

also tried hungry baby milk in late night feed in hope will at least go till morning from that feed but he refussed bottle crying so gave normal and he took it so that didnt work!

xxx

Replies

• toby is nearly 5 months old and doesnt sleep through compeltely.

He goes down at about 7.30pm and then wakes at 4am and has a full feed then wake about 7am.

We dropped the dream feed ages ago as it seemed rediculous waking him up and he still woke at 2 and 4. I go to bed about 10pm so get nearly 6 hours sleep before he wakes.

I dont think toby will drop this feed until he is fully weaned as he is a big hungry boy and i secretly love that magical time in the morning when it is just me and toby.

Not sure what to suggest with your litle one but have you tried giving him a couple of ounces this may help him settle until abit later. I was sure toby wasnt hungry and for a week i was going in and out of his room - he was more unsettled in the day - then i decided to give in ad feed and he downed the lot - not sure that particularly helps but it is certainly not unusual for babies not to sleep through when they are this young x x
  • thank you - i know not all babies sleep thru but im sooo tired with my 2 year old aswell just would love for it to happen............stupid i know as it is less likely to happen if i stress about it!

i'm tempted to try no dream feed tonight and see what time he wakes (it sounds silly to a lot of people as i know hv's and friends would just say well just try it - but when your tired and the night could go worse i dread it)

feel awful as you say you like that special time in night with toby, i dont feel like that i just think ohg great masons awake and the whole time i want my bed................thats awful of me!

i thought most babies should be able to do one long stretch by now but mason's longest is 6hours and thats the total max he has ever done!

• hi

ill tell you my routine as it got all 4 of mine sleeping though from 3 months it may help.

7am - feed nap 820til9am
    10am- feed nap til1230
    1pm-feed nap 230-330
    4pm-feed nap 445til 520pm
    7pm- feed bed

each feed was 6oz

also maybe try some baby rice about 530pm try and fill up before bed?

like i said this worked for me but might not work for everyone x

hope you get some sleep soon its hard with a toddler too x

amanda
  • Hiya - I've been thinking exactly the same thing - have I got a badly sleeping baby...... Lo goes to bed at 7am, usually wakes at 12ish, settle with dummy and then sometimes 2ish, settle with dummy - then at 4am ish for feed, very hard to settle after this feed...... We tried dream feed, but she still woke at 1ish etc so gave up. She is a poor feeder so I'm sure this doesn't help. Sometimes she will be awake at 6am, sometimes I have to wake her at 8am like this morning ! Don't think you can get away without a night feed at this age unless they are one of the miracle babies (some of which my friends have which is quite depressing) I also tried hungry baby milk for bedtime feed - she drank it but it made no difference to sleep length ! Sorry not much help but know what you are going through as I am knackered too.... S XX
  • Hiya - I've been thinking exactly the same thing - have I got a badly sleeping baby...... Lo goes to bed at 7am, usually wakes at 12ish, settle with dummy and then sometimes 2ish, settle with dummy - then at 4am ish for feed, very hard to settle after this feed...... We tried dream feed, but she still woke at 1ish etc so gave up. She is a poor feeder so I'm sure this doesn't help. Sometimes she will be awake at 6am, sometimes I have to wake her at 8am like this morning ! Don't think you can get away without a night feed at this age unless they are one of the miracle babies (some of which my friends have which is quite depressing) I also tried hungry baby milk for bedtime feed - she drank it but it made no difference to sleep length ! Sorry not much help but know what you are going through as I am knackered too.... S XX
  • Are the expectations different for a bf or ff baby in terms of sleeping through? LO is bf and feeds at 5 and 6.15 before bed. She wakes once or twice or night for food between 7-7 which I am very happy about at this stage. I figure she wont cut back until she is on 3 full meals as well as milk.

I think its totally normal for any babies ff or bf to continue to wake until they are fully weaned. I think any more than twice a night and they may not be getting enough in the day but once or twice is totally normal I think until at least six months, no?

xx
  • Try not to worry, I know that some babies just dont manage to sleep through until they are a year old and I know for most that it usually not until they are around 6 months. Your lo will get there xxx
    This is our routine with Olivia.
    8.30am wake, dress, feed
    10am nap
    10.40 play
    11.30 nap
    12.15 change, feed
    2.00 nap
    2.30 play
    3.30 nap
    4.15 change, feed
    5.00 play in bouncer
    6.00 nap
    6.30 play
    7.45 change, pyjamas, feed,
    8.00 bed
  • Mine doesn't sleep through and also got a toddler so know what you're going through. Just wanted to sympathise. Have no answers really as none of them work for me. Sorry x
  • thank you for all your replies and i know it sounds mean but im soooooooo glad others are still up in night not just me!!! thanks for good routines - i love looking at those to see where i could tweak mine!!!

roseapenny so does your lo only feed 4 times a day and not in night???

amanda i see that you feed every 3 hours instead of 4 and manage to cram in that extra feed in day time - i think my prob is he really isnt hungry before the 4 hours in day apart from on rare occasions if i did feed earlier he will take only about 4oz then an hour later want the rest which then means not starving at next feed etc............

mmmm what to do! NOTHING i think is the answer just plod along and think that at least things are 100% better than they were 6 weeks ago!

sorry for ramble!!!

xxx

• all mine fed 3 hrs she has 6oz she loves her food x

saw my friend today she also feeds 3hrs x

my friends boys didnt sleep throuh til 10 mths x she tried everything x