Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09

Early Weaning Help

Hi, the doc thinks my LO has Reflux (17 weeks) so has suggested early weaning as solids is meant to help cure it. She suggested trying baby rice etc before each feed. The prob is that she is screaming through all her milk feeds due to the Reflux and although she was Ok yesterday, she seems to be screaming and not interested in trying solids now either. Should i try her with solids inbetween milk feeds ? Baby rice seems very bland so I have some sweet potato puree to try as well.
How long did it take your LO's to start actually swallowing some solid food and anyone have any tips??!!!
Thanks
S
XX

Replies

• Hey - have you tried Gaviscon infant sachets? I put them in every bottle and bowl of baby rice we give her and it works a treat.
    I think the solids between milk feeds sounds like something worth trying, in my experience - Amber will only take her rusks/rice when she's in a settled mood and wont take it on an empty stomach.
    She's 17 weeks as well and has only just worked out how to eat off a spoon - it just takes perseverance - keep trying.
    Hope you find a solution - it's awful seeing them so upset with reflux
    xax
  • Dylan adores his food and took to it quite well but I treat it as a game. No pressure for him to eat I sing make funny faces let him put his hands in feed himself with either the spoon or taking food off the spoon and putting his fingers in his mouth. We laugh a lot and dont mke it a big deal.

She will get there, Dylan hated baby rice, sweet potato went down a treat though!

Good luck xxxx
  • Freddie has reflux and we started weaning him at 18 + 1 (he's still on Gaviscon and Ranitidine)

He loves baby rice mixed with plenty of EBM and I give it halfway through a feed so he isn't ravenous and too impatient to wait for the spoon

We also try and make it fun and he just loves putting his hands and spoon in his mouth at the same time as the baby rice! Very messy but lots of fun - have a camera at the ready!

Welsh & Freddie 19 + 5 xx
  • Olivia has reflux as well and is on infant gaviscon but my gp is trying to get me to stop using it as he said it can alzhemier's in later life, but he woudnt give anything to replace the gaviscon. I have been weaning now for a while and Olivia is on 2 meals a day, we did start with porridge and its is bland but I then started adding different flavours into her diet and I am hoping by the time she hits 6 months that I can drop 2 feeds. It has made a difference, she doesnt throw up the solids, still the milk but she now drinks juice at eal times as well, just little sips. I found the best thing to do to start is just hold the spoon to her mouth and let her lick it off the spoon and gradually she moved on to sucking it off the spoon now she opens her mouth wide and takes the whole spoon and says mmmmmm :lol:
  • Hi - yes we are on Infant Gaviscon which has made her less sicky, BUT she is still screaming as soon as she knows its milk time and throughout the feed. The only way I can get her to take the milk is give her dummy and quickly swap bottle for dummy. Surely she should not still be screaming before, during and after feeds. It is as though she has associated feed time with pain etc and I'm not sure what I can do to change this. She is also still getting hiccups and burping and then grissling / crying after as though the acid has hurt her. Would you say that we need some stronger meds ? I have given her some sweet potato today which she seems to like better than baby rice and inbetween feeds. S XX
  • we still have the problems with the hiccups, they sound so painful and very wet. If you are ff how about trying comfort milk I have heard people saying that when gaviscon didnt help they moved to a comfort milk instead and that made a difference.
  • hi sandy

tyler is on comfort milk, gaviscon and ranitidine. we stopped the ranitidine for two days and it was horrendous. big sick, crying at the sight of a bottle basically very unhappy. he's back on it now and its made such a difference. i'm slowly introducing him to food, he has a few spoonfuls of baby yoghurt in the morning with juice will start with the baby rice tonight at 4 ish and see what happens.

sarah+tyler(17 weeks tomorrow)