Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

All day at hospital now on Ranitidine!

Hi,

I went to the doc's again this morning as Scarlett's nights have got so bad and she is pain several times a day and got referral straight away to PAU.

Was there all day but after two consultants saw her they diagnosed reflux and prescribed more gaviscon(which upsets her) and Ranitidine.

Im so desperate for this to help her she's def regressed over the last week or so when I thought she was doing better.

Sim - I know youre using it, does it really make a difference? Her wind is still really bad but Ive def noticed screaming when she brings up clear fluid, coughing and choking noises. She's also sleeping only 2-3hrs at night now the rest of the time she thrashes and writhes and although we could get her back to sleep really struggling now, despite raised cot, swaddling etc.

Inka xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi

Sorry you've had to spend all day at hospital but hopefully now things will start to improve for you and your lo.

Freddie's on Gaviscon and Ranitidine and the combination of the 2 really helps. It's difficult with Gaviscon because too much makes him constipated but not enough and we see an big increase in the amount of milk he brings back and he fusses a lot on the breast.

If he seems to be having toilet issues I drop a dose of Gaviscon to help things along.

Prior to the Ranitidine Freddie would also writhe and thrash a lot at night - he's still a wriggler but he's not writhing in pain now.

Good luck with the meds and fingers crossed Scarlett feels better very soon

Welsh & Freddie 14 wks xx
  • Options
    Oh I hope things start to improve for you now!! Olivia is on gaviscon but thankfully she hasnt been constipated but she is still bringing up a fair amount of milk after her feeds. I hope with the combination of both you find a difference.
  • Options
    Hello

Tyler is also on gaviscon and ranitidine and last night was the best for us, he only woke up every 2 hours for a quick feed and then straight back down, i know compared to some that rubbish but for us that fab. Hopefully he will continue to improve, we've upped the teat size as he was struggling with the comfort milk and the gaviscon.

forgot to mention he also thrashes like something demented, also have cranial osteopath appt next week

sarah+tyler(12 weeks)

[Modified by: lillykitt on February 19, 2010 02:55 PM]

• Options
    Thanks for posts and support makes me feel better,

I know it's been (is) so hard for many of us, I just only seem to know people with babies that are content and sleep and it drives me mad that such a special time is so hard!

Scarlett not yet responding to rantidine but still early, she's crying like she did in the first month at the mo, hope she's reaching the worse and we start to see improvements soon.

All the best to everyones Little Ones xx

Inka xxx
  • Options
    Oh Inka, I really hope the ranitidine starts to make a big difference soon. You're doing a brilliant job, poor Scarlett, bless her!

Sarah you are an awesome mum, you've gone through tonnes with Tyler - his night sounds excellent not rubbish! He's had so much stacked against him, poor thing, it's not your fault. You're brilliant, big hug.

Jak sends hugs too x x x

Em x x x
  • Options
    Hi love, sorry not been on for days as have been madly packing and getting ready for our big move tomorrow. Im SO glad you have finally got some help. Im sorry it's reflux though but at least you now know and have something to help you manage it. I only wish they could have diagnosed this much earlier for both Scarlett and Tyler :cry: - it really makes me mad when they let it go on until that "magic" 12 wk mark and realise it isnt colic!!!! Anyway, you both have help now and I hope Scarlett is showing signs of improvement. Brody took to it immediately and began smiling within 24 hrs - he was 3.5wks old. So that told me instantly that it made him feel much better.

The regression you noticed could well be due to a growth spurt, we've all just been through that. Brody was hell for me a week ago and although he is not 100% past that so called magic mark (the wind still remains a big issue), he is a lot better.

I find with the renitadine that when it gets close to him being due for his next dose he can become a bit unsettled. I give it to him at 6am, 12pm and 6pm (or as close to as possible). He weighs 12lb 13oz (5.8kg) and has 1ml per dose. I think Sarah said her doc told her that Tyler could have it 8hrs apart due to his weight which I think was 13lbs. That would make sense being every 8 hrs, 3 times a day. My doc is useless and didnt mention anything like that so we found our own times. Brody was waking at about 6am-ish (although he has introduced a 3am feed since his growth spurt!!) and starting his bath/bed routine around 6ish so the times I use suit us better. Also, he doesnt seem so bad through the night when we get him up for a dream feed, or even now at 3am. Through the day I couldnt make him last 8hrs between the doses as he gets really upset by it.

So how is she doing now, it's been a few days since you posted?

xx
  • Options
    I hope the ranitidine is starting to work for you hun, I have nothing but admiration for how you've coped and I hope Scarlett starts to feel better soon

x x x
  • Options
    Thanks Sim and everyone else for posts,

I dare say it and its only minor but I do think she is slightly better today, she's actually fallen asleep in the day for the first time in 2 months on her own in her bouncer chair (I had to be sat next to her and rubbed her cheek a bit) but this is big news for Scarlett.

She's also yet to scream today OMG Im almost crying typing and I know its so small but things have got so bad this last week. Your posts make such a difference THANK YOU ALL so much, I really dont know what I'd done without you!

OH was off work this week gone as half term (no holiday for him but so glad it coincided with such a bad week) hope I can cope tomorrow, also In Laws offered to have her fri evening so we can go out for the first time since being born but scared stiff they'll be put off for life! (Hoping she's improved again by then) every time they see her she cries its so sad but they're really good about it.

Hope everyone having a more settled time xxx

Inka xxx

P.S - Sim - Hospital didnt mention timing of Ranitidine but on website 'Little refluxers' they say shouldn't have it less than 15mins before a feed, I think its been putting her off her food so trying this and spacing out as best I can.
  • Options
    oh blessher little heart - well done scarlett x

Also if i dont post before - really enjoy your night out x
  • Options
    Oh I am so glad, I know its only a small step but for you it feels huge and it does get better slowly from this you are still going to have some bad times but hopefully this is the start of continuing improvement now xxxxx