Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Nov 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Jaundice

Hi,

Im at day 14 and Scarlett still has slight jaundice so they have booked me in to a Jaundice clinic at the hospital on Friday. ( They are going to come out on Thurs and if its gone we wont have to go) but I wondered if anyone else was experiencing this.

Apparently if she's putting on weight and having lots of wet and soiled nappies its fine but I hate the idea of her having to go and have blood tests etc, also dont want to go back to the hospital after negative birth experience and my husband will have to take time off work so soon after paternity leave.

Oh the worries!

Inka xxx

Replies

• Hi Inka

They were concerned about Tyler having jaundice when we were in hospital, he had two blood tests which then ruled this out. But it came back that his sodium levels were low, and have literally just come back from him having ANOTHER blood test, this time from his vein which was horrible to watch and he screamed the place down. In hospital I was putting him in the sunshine all the timeas apparently this really helps they said if he didn't improve then he would have to have the blue light therapy.

Am sure your little one will be fine, they have to check these things out

sarah + Tyler (1 week 1 day)
  • Toby was janundice as well at the start - not enough for light therapy - he had 3 blod tests which were awful to watch ND 3 WEEKS IN HIS COLOUR IS MUCH IMPROVED JUST SLIGHTLY YELLOW EYES STILL (not sure why the caps came on!) but nothing to worry about - def putting hi infront of a window and taking him out helps. x
  • Hi,

Thanks for replies, doctor just rung me for hospital appointment and its not till Fri 11th Dec. I asked him if she still had it then would it be ok that she'd have had it 3 1/2 weeks by then and he said it was fine as long as she was generally well otherwise, ie lots of wet and soiled nappies (which there are) so hoping it will have gone completely by then and she wont have to go.

Poor babies having those injections, obviously its all in their best interests but must be so hard to watch.

Scarlett's eyes didnt go yellow, just on her face and neck, still there but loads lighter than before. I have been putting her in the window but there's such little good light at the mo. Thanks for advice though.

Inka xxx